What's new

Pro4 keyboard falls off for my EMT use

suds1421

Hello,

I am an EMS provider and we are issued Surface Pro 4's for creating our documentation. These are neat little devices and I could see the usage of them.

However, we use them in the back of the ambulance on our lap, without the hard connection of the keyboard to the screen of a laptop I've dropped mine many times. It's useless to me unless I have a desk to set it on.

Are there any cases or other keyboards I could use that would lock together the keyboard and screen so that I could use this more like a laptop, on my lap while driving down the road?

Thanks for the help!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum suds.

The Surface pro can and does work on a lap, but I wouldn't want to try it in a vehicle! I can certainly see why it is happening.

Not the cheapest, but this product was recently announced which might possible do what you need. A drawback is that it uses bluetooth, so might increase battery drain, and bluetooth connections can drop out here and there on the best of devices.
Brydge 12.3

ScottyS

As much as I love the Surface, I cannot see using it with the keyboard in the back of an ambulance. Unless you can use it without the keyboard using the on screen keyboard to enter text. Your company (or municipality) that provides the SP4 for your documentation should have your call sheet made so that it is mostly ticking boxes or drop down lists so you can fill it out by hand. Or, use pen input to write your data and then use OCR to convert it to text.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Urban Armor Gear case should be just right for your needs, @suds1421 . The case is tough, easy to grip, and holds the keyboard tighter.

Give them a call to discuss your needs.

I agree with Sharpuser on this one - The Urban Armor Case or the OtterBox Case will fit your needs perfectly - Granted they cost a little more - they are WELL worth the money considering the price of a SP4. Additionally - given that your line of work might be a little tough on a Surface - the investment will definitely pay off in the long run.