What's new

Problem downloading recovery image

Fant

My surface 2 is in an endless state of "attempting to repair" and reboots .... so I tried downloading the recovery image from the Microsoft support site and after clicking the download button I just get an empty tab. I've tried on 2 machines as well as from another surface tablet. Can someone try to download the recovery image so that I know I'm not going insane? Microsoft's sending me the image via snail mail but that will take 6-8 bus days.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
As a security precaution you should change your Account Password in case the web page was hacked.

OP
F

Fant

How do we let Microsoft know about the problem? I talked to them and they seemed to think it was on my end because it worked for them. But they were probably on a Microsoft internal network.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
How do we let Microsoft know about the problem? I talked to them and they seemed to think it was on my end because it worked for them. But they were probably on a Microsoft internal network.
I didn't see any way except thru the Answer Desk which is still closed until one hour from now. The Contact Us at the very bottom of the page takes you right back to the Answer Desk not a web admin.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok tried multiple times to Chat with the Answer Desk... all failed to initiate a chat session. :(

OP
F

Fant

Did your download work? Now it seems to start but i keep getting a network failure before it completes. Trying third time.

OP
F

Fant

Yah it eventually worked. I tried both chrome and IE and even tried from the surface tablet itself. I ended up having to start 3 downloads at the same time and that caused the connection not to terminate.

xbliss

Found this super small print that starts with OOOs or Zeros then has some 5s or S'es in it. I tried various combinations on the MS Site and the damn thing will not verify/ allow me to download. What the hell do I do to figure out the Serial No? Is there a pattern to this AlphaNumberic code?
What part is alpha and what is numeric?
When tried to contact support agent, same drama.. it wont verify Serial.. Stupid MS..
PS: Surface Pro 3 here.