What's new

Problems saving pictures in Internet Explorer

godzillinois

I didn't see a Windows OS subforum so I wasn't sure where else to post this. I can't save any pictures in Internet Explorer when in tablet mode for my Surface Pro, but Internet Explorer in the desktop saves pictures just fine. What is the tablet OS side of the Surface Pro called anyways? Windows RT?

Whenever I try and save any pics I get the following error message: "An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format."

Screenshot (15).png

TunaSurface

Correct me if i'm wrong but the tablet side is usually called Metro.
Although Microsoft doesn't use that term anymore that's what we call it. Metro.

As to your problem maybe it's trying to open them or something?
What's your default folder for saving pictures, maybe try changing it?
Reinstall IE if you havent OR attempt to repair internet explorer
by following these steps from microsoft.com:

On the taskbar, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.
In the Add/Remove Programs Properties dialog box, click Internet Explorer 5.5 SP1 and Internet Tools, and then click Add/Remove.
In the Internet Explorer 5.5 and Internet Tools dialog box, click Repair Internet Explorer, then click OK, and then click Yes to confirm the repair.
Click Yes to restart the computer.

guymalloc

Sorry, but why are you wasting your time with IE at all? First thing I installed on my surface pro was Mozilla Firefox. Haven't looked back to IE since I switched to Netscape on my Windows 95c destop. (Still will run if I put a cmos battery on the motherboard!) Ha!

OP
G

godzillinois

I haven’t used IE in a long, long time either but since the Surface Pro is my first (real) foray into Windows I wanted to go whole hog and dive deep into the eco-system. Honestly besides the saving pics issue I haven’t had any issues with Internet Explorer and have enjoyed it so far. In fact, I don’t see what all the negative feedback about Windows 8 is all about because I’m enjoying that too.

I stopped using Firefox on my Macbook because it kept hogging up too much memory and went with Chrome, if IE gives me any more problems I think I’ll switch to that instead. I can always just open the current page I’m browsing in the desktop and save the pic that way, its just an annoying extra step.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, godzillinois,

Please post a link to that website, so we can try to save pics on our own machines.

OP
G

godzillinois

Hey, godzillinois,

Please post a link to that website, so we can try to save pics on our own machines.

It's not a website: When you have a pic open in Internet Explorer through the Metro (Tablet OS) side of the Surface Pro click on the wrench icon that's comes up near the bottom right when you bring up the bottom status bar/the bar with the web address:

View attachment 1882

When you click on it There is an "View in Desktop" option and that will open the pic page in the Internet Explorer browser on the Desktop side of your Surface Pro:

View attachment 1883

You can then right click or long press on the pic and choose "save picture as":

View attachment 1884

Last edited:

cdf3

I had problems trying to save pictures using the Metro Internet Explorer. This what I did to get it working again.

Go to Metro UI Desktop
Search for Libraries
Tap on Pictures folder to highlight it
Select Manage from the navigation tab
Select Restore Settings