What's new

Problems with standby of INTENSO external HDD

AlexRK

Good evening,

i'm new in this Forum and from Germany, so please excuse me, if I'll won't write english perfectly. In Germany we haven't got a good suface-Forum.

I use different USB3.0 HDDs with mit Surface Pro 3 (i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB internal HDD). In normale case, the HDDs go to standby, if I did not use them for a whole minutes. In this standby mode, the HDD seems to be off (mechanical), but it is still visible in the Windows Explorer. If i click on it, it wakes up automacally. Everything fine till here.

But with one of my external HDDs - a Intenso Memory Drive USB3.0 with 512GB - the standby isn't working fine. Like my other USB3.0 HDDs, this Intenso Drive is also going to the standby-Modus after a whole minutes of non-using. OK till this Point. But then: Differntly to my other HDDs, the Intenso-Drive is NOT visible in the Windows Explorer during the standby. Al least, there's no Chance, to turn it on again, exept I pull down the USB-Cable of the drive and put it in again.

Is this a generally bug with some kinds of external HDDs (maybe specialle INTENSO drives?) ??
Is there any fix or Workaround possible? Beacause i use Win8.1 pro with InstantGo, there is no possibility for Manual USB-Powermanagemant.

I hope you've understood my Problem (and my language :). I'm interestet for your answers...

bye!

kundas1

look in your updates and see if you need to install the driver for your HDD.. if not go to INTENSO web site and see if they have drivers for it that you need to download...seems like the HDD doesn't like windows power state

malberttoo

Good evening,

i'm new in this Forum and from Germany, so please excuse me, if I'll won't write english perfectly. In Germany we haven't got a good suface-Forum.

I use different USB3.0 HDDs with mit Surface Pro 3 (i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB internal HDD). In normale case, the HDDs go to standby, if I did not use them for a whole minutes. In this standby mode, the HDD seems to be off (mechanical), but it is still visible in the Windows Explorer. If i click on it, it wakes up automacally. Everything fine till here.

But with one of my external HDDs - a Intenso Memory Drive USB3.0 with 512GB - the standby isn't working fine. Like my other USB3.0 HDDs, this Intenso Drive is also going to the standby-Modus after a whole minutes of non-using. OK till this Point. But then: Differntly to my other HDDs, the Intenso-Drive is NOT visible in the Windows Explorer during the standby. Al least, there's no Chance, to turn it on again, exept I pull down the USB-Cable of the drive and put it in again.

Is this a generally bug with some kinds of external HDDs (maybe specialle INTENSO drives?) ??
Is there any fix or Workaround possible? Beacause i use Win8.1 pro with InstantGo, there is no possibility for Manual USB-Powermanagemant.

I hope you've understood my Problem (and my language :). I'm interestet for your answers...

bye!

Yes, what Kundas1 said above, check the manufacturer's website and see if there is a firmware update available for that drive.

Also, I would check the drive on another computer, if you haven't already. It's possible that the drive needs more power than the SP3's USB port can provide.

OP
A

AlexRK

Hello and thanks for your many answers.

INTENSO does not offer updates or Drivers ... only Drivers for win98 :confused:

I have not got a second pc for testint. The Surface 3 is my online pc and the drive is connected to the USB-Port of the original Docking Station for the Surface Pro 3.

I think there wouldn't be a solution for the Problem.

malberttoo

I think there wouldn't be a solution for the Problem.

Possibly not, but I don't think you'll know for sure until you can try it out on a different PC, maybe a friend's, or school or work or whatever.

There are a good number of drives that don't work happily with the USB port on the SP3, they simply require more power. And the dock has enough different issues, that it could be suspect in just about any problem! :D

OP
A

AlexRK

Hey,

yes, maybe i could test it on another Computer in the next days. But the result of this would not help me, if I see, that it works fine with another Computer...because I need it good-working on my Surface :-D!

Thanks 4 help.

malberttoo

Hey,

yes, maybe i could test it on another Computer in the next days. But the result of this would not help me, if I see, that it works fine with another Computer...because I need it good-working on my Surface :-D!

Thanks 4 help.

If it DOES work fine on another computer, then a simple "Y" cable would probably fix the problem for you. Basically, it gives you 2 USB ends to draw power from. So one would go into the SP3 USB port, and the other could go into the port on your power brick.

In fact the product page says that the drive came with a Y cable? http://www.intenso.de/produkte_en.php?kategorie=29&&produkt=1262093865

OP
A

AlexRK

Uff, incredible. I don't know if it (the Y-Cable) comes with it, when i bought this drive, because i use several USB 3.0 cables.

I'm wondering about the fact, that the drive is working fine ans fast, when i activly use it, but gets problems, when it isn't in use. I thought, it would be exactly otherwise (Powermanagement-Problems when using it activly and not, when it isn't in use).

I'll search my big cable-box tomorow, maybe I'll find this mystical Y-Cable.

Thanks for your idea! Maybe that's the key :)))!

RobvD

Good evening,
But then: Differntly to my other HDDs, the Intenso-Drive is NOT visible in the Windows Explorer during the standby. Al least, there's no Chance, to turn it on again, exept I pull down the USB-Cable of the drive and put it in again.

Are you sure you can't use the powermanagement?
I had the same problem and in my case was the workaround (translated from Dutch Windows to English ;-) Configuration/Power Management/Energyscheme -> Balanced -> Change Scheme-setup -> Change Avanced Energy-setup
Then Harddisk / Power off after ... (ex. 180 minutes)
USB-setup / Setup for selected USB-interrupt: disable