What's new

Problems with voice input?

Good Doc

I have a Surface 3, which I upgraded to Windows 10 straight from purchase. Since the upgrade whenever I click on the microphone icon in the "Ask me anything" box in the taskbar I hear a sound which implies that the system is waiting for voice input. However, after a fraction of a second this disappears and plays another sound which implies that either an error has occurred, or for one reason or another voice input has been suspended. Immediately after this I am either returned to the default search screen (weather, top news etc.) or else see "find my results on Bing.com". I've tried to configure the microphone, and perform the voice calibration, however nothing that I seem to do makes any difference - it is as if the computer is not even trying to acquire a voice input.

I should also add, that I've made sure all my region and language settings are set to UK (which is my location), and I have no problems using Cortana via the keyboard.

kundas1

^^ yup worked for me... I wonder why win 10 is having that trouble across multiple devices?!!

OP
G

Good Doc

I'd already noticed that post, and given the solution a try. Unfortunately it didn't work for me. No matter what I do, whenever I click on the microphone picture I get about 1/10th of a second of voice input, then the computer gives up and starts searching. Obviously I can't have said anything in that amount of time so it searches with a blank field.

Whenever I do the microphone setup, it seems to accept my voice input, and says that the microphone is set up for use. Consequently I have no doubt that the computer is able to access the microphone, and measure its input (turning the gain down to zero my computer tells me that it can't hear me, so I know that it can "hear" me in normal conditions.)

OP
G

Good Doc

Thanks for your reply. I don't have any Bluetooth devices connected, in fact Bluetooth is turned off on my Surface.

I'll certainly give the link a read, but as far as I can tell the update process seems to have run smoothly.

OP
G

Good Doc

After some testing, I've discovered that if I enable "Hey Cortana", my microphone can hear me perfectly well. However a split second after Cortana responds to "Hey Cortana" the same (error?) noise occurs and prevents any voice input. Clearly my microphone is working properly, but it seems that the subsequent voice input just won't activate.

I've looked at the link provided, and can't see any other evidence that the upgrade process has't worked properly.