What's new

ProcThrottleMax, Powercfg setting

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been experimenting with the ProcThrottleMax setting and was wondering if there is a GraphicsThrottleMax setting?

I was able to run the XTU CPU Stress test, and the XTU benchmark without any thermal throttling.
Its a case of the Tortoise & the Hare or the Lizard.
With default settings the SP3 starts like a Hare then throttles back to the Tortoise and I'm trying to run at lizard speed eg. In between Tortoise and Hare.

So far so good... but when I kick off the Graphics Stress test I get Thermal throttling for a period of time then the Tortoise mode kicks in. which is how I arrived at my question of is there a Graphics Throttle Setting that's equivalent to ProcThrottleMax?

While I'm at it ill just ask if there's a MemoryThrottleMax as well.

Of course you should not take this literally in case there are MemThrottleMax Or GrafThrottlePeak settings?

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I should add this is way simpler than undervolting and doesn't incur any of the stability issues of undervolting. in addition you can switch configuration dynamically or via different Power Plans.

ctitanic

I have been saying that most of the reported cases of throttling are GPU and no CPU relative.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been saying that most of the reported cases of throttling are GPU and no CPU relative.
You certainly get throttling with either... until you set ProcThrottleMax. which is Throttling too, just a different approach. By not letting it go into thermal throttling, it doesn't have to back off so much so it can bring it back under control.

I could have used squirrel or elephant as my steady speed representative but even so there's a price to pay.

The benchmark score is lower than if you let it run in default configuration however, the speed doesn't vary. That can be important and if one arrives at the right configuration... there is a potential that a gamer could setup a stable config that would get a consistent frame rate vs fast then stuttering and slow and it could be as simple as selecting a different power plan or running a batch file.

ctitanic

And what's the percentage that your are using?

powercfg -setacvalueindex SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMAX 50

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Comparing performance between the i5 4300U 15w TDP and an i5 4300Y 11.5w TDP the U scores 3753 while the Y scores 2542 and with ProcThrottleMax set to 74 I just scored 2655.

Why is that important? Because even though its throttling the SP3 CPU is performing better than the lower power part. If they had gone with the 11.5 w Y series i5 there would be less or possibly no throttling but overall performance would be lower (e.g the throttling is baked in with the Y series).

Perhaps I can tune the Graphics with XTU but if I can that just means MS could expose a way to do the same through the Power config.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
And what's the percentage that your are using?

powercfg -setacvalueindex SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMAX 50
74 at the moment. although I got Thermal Throttling when I set it to 75 there was also a significant performance difference so... either there's a granularity bump there... or I made a mistake :)

ctitanic

Just for the record, at this moment the default is set to 64.

Capture.JPG