OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have to call
powercfg.exe -setactive SCHEME_CURRENT
To apply the changes?
I'm going to say yes to that but I'm using the guid.

Heres what I did to setup.... (copied Balanced Power scheme so I could work on a copy)
Running Admin command prompt in c:\temp
Powercfg /export Balanced.pow <GUID of Balanced Scheme>
powercfg /import c:\temp\balanced.pow
It creates a new GUID with the same name Balanced
Powercfg /list
You see two GUIDs the original and the new one
Powercfg /changename <new GUID> ModBalanced
The new one is now named ModBalanced.
changed power plan to ModBalanced, which is still identical to Balanced.

powercfg -setacvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMAX 74
powercfg -setdcvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMAX 74
Powercfg -setactive SCHEME_CURRENT

The change is live and ready to test. run test... change again and set active.
I'm setting both the DC and AC values but you could do just one.
AC for when you're plugged in
DC for on battery.
I have not tried anything with different values DC vs AC.

Last edited:
OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
How can you check if the change was applied?
Powercfg /query <GUID>

scheme_current probably works also but I have been using the GUID ... or up arrow in another window :)

Just verified scheme_current also works.

and I'm going to the gym to kill some calories... BBL

ctitanic

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re 64 is in Hex which is equivalent to 100%

The values being entered are decimal and when I look at them with the query I see the equivalent Hexadecimal value. 74 = 4a

I just did a refresh on Wednesday so there's very little different from default on my machine... I can't explain if you're not seeing changes but again I'm changing SCHEME_CURRENT.

Last edited:
OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I just tried 75 again and I see Thermal throttling and the benchmark score is 339 or 340 marks which might be the same as default. At 74 I see no thermal throttling and the benchmark score is 225.
Maybe it doesn't do anything at 75 and above.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
In XTU there is a setting to change the Graphics frequency multiplier called Graphics Ratio Limit which appears to be the equivalent of what ProcThrottleMax is doing because it results in limited CPU clock frequency with values below 75.

Trouble is. the XTU release notes say... you have to restart the driver in order for the change to take effect. Hmm, which driver??? Rebooted, started XTU checked the live settings and it shows my change BUT it doesn't work... Graphics frequency still goes up to the max as before 1048-1099 where I tried to limit to 800. Then they also say you can only use values of every forth increment.

Maybe they mean the graphics driver but that would also mean the Graphics driver MUST support this option. Hello Microsoft... it would be really good if you implemented this AND made it available as a setting via Powercfg GraphicsRatioMax

I will do some more checking to see if there's a way to get this working but it appears the setting is currently not implemented.

There was no problem with the Memory stress test so there's no need to chase that.

Its also odd that ProcThrottleMax Doesn't do anything at 75 because there's a big jump at that point. I'd think the ideal setting is probably about 80-85 if only we could go there.

Last edited: