What's new

ProcThrottleMax, Powercfg setting

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It doesn't appear that there is much graphics load to this at all. so this was with only ProcthrottleMin set or did you also have Max set? anything else?

Cothek

This was just ProcThrottleMin set. My GPU never seems to go over 600....even with the XTU GPU test.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Min is a puzzling configuration ... not really sure what's happening there... or if idling at higher clock rate wont eat the battery. His test case appears to be a mostly CPU load based on the first graph. Regardless of the heat source CPU or GPU or both, being in the same chip, the temps pretty much mirror each other.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Game has changed. It seems yesterdays Firmware update brought a new and different profile to the throttling characteristics. Running CPU Stress you get a couple blips of Thermal Throttling followed by 100% Power Throttling and a more well behaved lower running temperature while maintaining higher clock frequencies. Running the XTU benchmark again the profile is different with a period of Thermal Throttling and more aggressive Power Throttling with higher overall clock frequencies.
Max 75 - New FW - CPU Stress and Bench.PNG

At first blush this looks to be an improvement. more testing to do ...

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Similarly the Graphics Stress Test shows higher average clock rate with more aggressive Power Throttling. The temps appear to level off at 70C and the Graphics clock doesn't steadily drop.
New Fw Graphics Stress.PNG

I think they could sustain at a higher temp but I think this is better than before.

Cothek

My results seem to be very different from yours, GreFox7, and this is with the newest firmware...

CPU Stress test:
08-20 Drivers CPU Test.png

GPU Stress test:
08-20 Drivers GPU Test.png

I wonder if my unit is defective because my GPU never seems to go over 600MHz.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
which model do you have??? I have the i5 8/256.
I am 99.9% sure I ran with all default settings also.

Cothek

I have the i7. Which may explain the difference. I guess I expected them to be somewhat similar.

Also, your processor seems to runat max turbo for a while where mine never really does, at least in the XTU sress tests.

Looking back at my graphs its interesting to see the temp drop so dramatically at first but then rise back up slowly. I think they need to adjust their damping function.

Last edited:

Cothek

Here are the results of running Firestrike, newest drivers second:

Firestrike.png

Score: 563
08-20 Firestrike.png

Definitely much different. Unfortunately I don't remember the score with the first one.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The other issue I have been having since Patch Tuesdays (8/12/2014) updates is my battery life has dropped significantly and I'm idling about 10 degrees hotter on CPU temp for no obvious reason.

On Wed 8/13 I did a Refresh and then it installed all the updates through 8/12. the only changes I made were to ProcthrottleMax which is back to default setting and a couple XTU settings which have been discarded. So I have all default settings with a fairly fresh, or refreshed, machine.

Last edited:

daveyp

Something went terribly wrong with my battery test. I dont know if it was the graphics settings I was fooling with (I also installed intel's HD control panel) but it was using about 5-6 milliamps on average (even in airplane mode) compared to the ~4.5 it was hovering at previously (with wifi and BT on). In 6 hours at the dimmest setting, CPU at 570mhz, with max GPU battery set, I eeked out about 6 hours before it was around 10%.