What's new

Program installation from CD

note3

Perhaps this question was asked before, but I can not find it here int his forum.
How can I install programs from a CD or from CD → PC → UFD → SP3?
I used google but could not find a practical solution.

Thanks

leeshor

There is another option. Use an existing CD/DVD drive on your PC as a shared resource. It will not autorun on your Surface but you can browse to the share and execute the setup/install program manually.

strollin

It's not really necessary to convert the install CD to an ISO, you can simply copy the files from the CD to a USB thumb drive, plug it into the SP3 and run the install from there. The cases where you would need to create an ISO are those where the CD is copy-protected (a game perhaps?) or if the CD is bootable. Typically only OS install disks are bootable so you need an ISO of say a Win XP disk in order to create a VM running XP in Hyper-V.

You can create an ISO from a disk using any number of CD burning softwares. My choice is a program called ImgBurn but there are many others.

One thing nice about ISOs in Win 8 is that if you double-click on the ISO file the OS will mount it and make it available as another drive.

mohcho

There is another option. Use an existing CD/DVD drive on your PC as a shared resource. It will not autorun on your Surface but you can browse to the share and execute the setup/install program manually.

That would be my recommendation as well, for a single installation of a program.

Another question is, if there will be a CD drive available for the SP3.

Thanks

USB 3.0 external CD/DVD reader.

olimjj

It's not really necessary to convert the install CD to an ISO, you can simply copy the files from the CD to a USB thumb drive, plug it into the SP3 and run the install from there. The cases where you would need to create an ISO are those where the CD is copy-protected (a game perhaps?) or if the CD is bootable.
+1
I second this choice. He should have a USB Thumb drive with about 10 GB of free space. He can create a separate folder for each disk.

Arizona Willie

I just popped the disk into the DVD burner on my PC and installed it over my wireless network.

When you go to install the program and it asks ' where do you want it ' just point it to your Surface tablet and into the directory on it that you desire to install to. In most cases that will be C:/WINDOWS/ PROGRAMS (X86).

olimjj

I just popped the disk into the DVD burner on my PC and installed it over my wireless network.

When you go to install the program and it asks ' where do you want it ' just point it to your Surface tablet and into the directory on it that you desire to install to. In most cases that will be C:/WINDOWS/ PROGRAMS (X86).
Equally good solution, but there are 12 discs and if he needs a reinstall or an installation in another unit he wont have to duplicate the process.