What's new

Solved Program to automatically turn off display while inactive?

young blade

Does anyone know a program that I can use to automatically dim the screen when I'm inactive for x minutes and keep my surface pro 3 on. I don't want to disable connected standby because it messes up my Wi-Fi.

leeshor

That doesn't seem to meet your original requirements of "DIM" the screen. Did you mean blank the screen? If so, Windows can do that on a timed basis, (after X minutes), but not on a schedule and it doesn't appear that app can do it either.

OP
young blade

young blade

That doesn't seem to meet your original requirements of "DIM" the screen. Did you mean blank the screen? If so, Windows can do that on a timed basis, (after X minutes), but not on a schedule and it doesn't appear that app can do it either.

I should change the name of this thread to turn of lcd instead of dim screen.

The program itself does exactly what I want and I've just successfully created a task in windows to run this app after 3 minutes inactivity.

If anyone else is interested let me know and I'll write a tutorial.

@leeshor if windows can also do this without putting the SP3 to sleep please let me know (BTW I'm on windows 10).

leeshor

Search in Win 10 for "screen saver". It will display many different types of graphics, or a blank screen. The lack of anything displaying on the screen is very close to turning it off from a power standpoint.

I modified your title

OP
young blade

young blade

Search in Win 10 for "screen saver". It will display many different types of graphics, or a blank screen. The lack of anything displaying on the screen is very close to turning it off from a power standpoint.

I modified your title

Thanks, but that is not what I wanted because it doesnt turn off the display to save power. The problem is already solved with the app I've linked.

ChrisPanzer

Sorry to necro this thread, but I've downloaded and ran this .EXE, and it does not only turn off the screen, it puts the Sp3 to sleep. I fired up a YouTube video, then double-clicked the .exe file, and the youtube stopped playing, and upon resuming the lock screen is back as well. This is NOT a simple OFF solution; it just puts the PC to sleep. LOL

OP
young blade

young blade

Sorry to necro this thread, but I've downloaded and ran this .EXE, and it does not only turn off the screen, it puts the Sp3 to sleep. I fired up a YouTube video, then double-clicked the .exe file, and the youtube stopped playing, and upon resuming the lock screen is back as well. This is NOT a simple OFF solution; it just puts the PC to sleep. LOL

But did you disable connected standby and also have the 15-01-2015 firmware update installed??

Because when I'm listening to Youtube and launch this program it only deactivates the screen like it should..

ChrisPanzer

But did you disable connected standby and also have the 15-01-2015 firmware update installed??

Because when I'm listening to Youtube and launch this program it only deactivates the screen like it should..
Is it good to remove CS? I dont need my SP3 to update me on anything in the background, so I don't care about that feature.

I just don't want to mess anything up with my system, is it safe/beneficial to disable CS? Will I loose 'sleep' mode altogether? I tried doing a search for these questions but Im not finding anything concrete either way...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Is it good to remove CS? I dont need my SP3 to update me on anything in the background, so I don't care about that feature.

I just don't want to mess anything up with my system, is it safe/beneficial to disable CS? Will I loose 'sleep' mode altogether? I tried doing a search for these questions but Im not finding anything concrete either way...
Disabling CS will result in having only Hibernate and Shutdown, no sleep options....

OP
young blade

young blade

Not having the sleep option is not such a big problem. Pushing the power button will cause the system to hibernate. Pushing the button again will wake it up from its hibernating state and only takes 7 seconds. 7 seconds is not a big issue for me.

I like downloading movies & listing to music. But both don't require the screen to be on all the time so for me this is the best solution. Also having connected standby enabled will drain the battery while in sleep mode as wifi will remain connected to your network.

When I disable connected standby I have more power options like the 'High Performance' and gain 400Mhz extra from the CPU.
You can also set the time for the screen to time out without it going into sleep mode.

But I think it all comes down to your specific needs.