What's new

Protecting the Surface Pro 3

ipaq_101

Hello everyone!

I am also waiting to get my hands on the Surface Pro 3.

I mainly bought the unit so I can take notes with the S-Pen (headed to B-School in the fall), the only other competitor was the Lenevo Thinkpad Yoga, however the Lenevo configuration was nearly $1800 for the i5/256GB/8GB configuration.

Glad I didn't buy before Microsoft made the announcement.

Now to get to my question....I went to the MS store and got to play with the unit, but I already found that after a few days on display there were chips and scratches all over the unit (not the glass but the panels).

I want to protect this unit as I plan to keep it for a while.

I decided to get this: Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Screen Protector + White Carbon Fiber Film Protector - Microsoft Surface Pro 3 - Microsoft - TABLETS

Now I am not sure how the S pen will work with the screen protector, I am looking for any suggestions with people who have used screen protector and the full body protector with the Surface Pro 2.

Any suggestions and or comments are appreciated! If you have another company you prefer, please let me know as well.

Mikeyqp

When the stickerboy skin is available, can someone make a new post about it? That's the protection I want to buy!

Btw, s pen? The s pen (samsung galaxy note s pen?) won't work with the sp3.

Last edited:
I had what seems to be the same product from Bodyguardz on my SP2 and loved it. The skin is actually based on a 3m product that has a nice texture and is not simply a thin vinyl cover. I also used the clear screen protector which did not to have any affect on the use of the stylus. Thanks for sharing this link as it is another resource since Bodyguardz has not announced their version yet nor will they say they are doing it when asked.

MickeyLittle

When the stickerboy skin is available, can someone make a new post about it? That's the protection I want to buy!

Btw, s pen? The s pen (samsung galaxy note s pen?) won't work with the sp3.

Oh no I'm afraid not as the sPen is more like Wacom. It appears that the only pens that work are n-trig so I know theree is the one that comes with the Surface and I believe Sony has one and maybe Acer but I'm not sure. There are options but not many.

OP
ipaq_101

ipaq_101

When I went to the MS store, I was trying out all the other pens they sell on the SP3 and it didn't work, the MS Store employee saw me and said only the SP3 pen will work with the SP3, not even the SP2 pen will work. So we will have to see if any 3rd party pens will work down the line.

OP
ipaq_101

ipaq_101

I had what seems to be the same product from Bodyguardz on my SP2 and loved it. The skin is actually based on a 3m product that has a nice texture and is not simply a thin vinyl cover. I also used the clear screen protector which did not to have any affect on the use of the stylus. Thanks for sharing this link as it is another resource since Bodyguardz has not announced their version yet nor will they say they are doing it when asked.

Does bodyguardz use a PET (hard plastic) for the front portector? I know that the Armorsuit uses the self-healing ones, so if you use a SP3 pen it might have a bunch of scratches and divots.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
SP3 uses N-trig, so pens from the Sony DUO, Fujitsu Q702 even the old HP Slate 500 will work....but they won't have the full functionality of the SP3 Pen as it has the additional Bluetooth Connection for OneNote Integration...

bulls96

Bestskinsever is having a Buy One Get One deal right now. I have used them before and worked just like the rest of them. You may want to check it out.

SeeVuPlay

I use the Ghost Armor on all my devices. At first, I was disappointed with the resistance of the pen to the screen protector...it seemed to have so much friction that I was worried the pen tip would get damaged (I hear MS stores are replacing them for free though). It also affected the writing sensitivity. I immediately took the screen protector off. Someone on this forum advised me to give it a couple days of usage with touch only, and to not use the pen. I had my doubts but followed the advice anyhow and within 1-2 days, there was no more excessive resistance and the pen was inking on the screen like it should be expected.

The ghost armor is expensive, but works really well. I put it on myself after watching some videos for tips.