What's new

putting films onto my surface is abit of a chore, is there a computer lead?

badham21

it seems that when I tried to convert my digital copy of a film I have onto my surface, I was unable to do so because I had to download it to my computer then put it on a memory stick and then onto the device, as you can imagine, the security levels on these digital copies are quite high so unsurprisingly it didn't work. I was thinking that maybe the surface should've come with a computer lead, just to check does it come with one? Because I couldn't find one in the box anyways.

J515OP

Super Moderator
No, it does not come with a cable for connecting to the PC. Even if it did, it wouldn't solve your problem. Most likely you need to try a different form of conversion on the file. Once it is in the correct format the method of getting it to your Surface is irrelevant (cloud, home network, usb or micro SD).

Another possible option is to media share from your PC. That way the file never leaves your pc but you should still be able to play it on the Surface provided you have the correct format.

JP

OP
B

badham21

ok heres the steps I took:

saved the movie to computer (WMV format)
put it on external hard drive
plugged into surface
went onto desktop and copied movie from external hard drive to desktop
tried to open
failed.

leeshor

ok heres the steps I took:

saved the movie to computer (WMV format)
put it on external hard drive
plugged into surface
went onto desktop and copied movie from external hard drive to desktop
tried to open
failed.

Sounds like a DRM problem. Will it play accessing it directly from your computer? (streaming)

compnovo

Have you tried Handbrake? It defaults to mp4, which the Surface plays flawlessly. The only hurdle will be the DRM (copy protection) on the disc.

OP
B

badham21

yeah I reckon its almost definitely a DRM problem, as I just put on the inbetweeners movie (mp4 format) that I had downloaded ages ago to my laptop from youtube downloader and it actually works well on here. That's quite annoying now though I can't have x-men first class on it without paying the £8.99 for it :/

kryten22uk

yeah I reckon its almost definitely a DRM problem, as I just put on the inbetweeners movie (mp4 format) that I had downloaded ages ago to my laptop from youtube downloader and it actually works well on here. That's quite annoying now though I can't have x-men first class on it without paying the £8.99 for it :/

What do you mean you have to pay 8.99?
Either you have the file or you don't. All files from DVD/Bluray or digital copy will come with DRM unless you use a DRM removal tool.

J515OP

Super Moderator
What do you mean you have to pay 8.99?
Either you have the file or you don't. All files from DVD/Bluray or digital copy will come with DRM unless you use a DRM removal tool.

I think he meant renting it or buying it again on the Surface directly since he can't get his current copy to play there.