What's new

PXE Boot Surface Book?

netuser

Has anyone verified that the Surface Book will PXE boot using the Microsoft Surface USB Ethernet adapter?

OP
N

netuser

Is there anyone using the adapter? Where do you get Ethernet drivers for a Surface Book that isn't able to download from Windows Update?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It only supports the Official Surface USB Ethernet or the one on the dock as these drivers are included as signed drivers within the UEFI. No other ones will work.

OP
N

netuser

It only supports the Official Surface USB Ethernet or the one on the dock as these drivers are included as signed drivers within the UEFI. No other ones will work.
The question was specifically about the Microsoft Surface USB Ethernet adapter. I was not planning on trying to get any others to work. I wanted to confirm that the official Microsoft Surface Ethernet adapter actually works with the Surface Book.
I looked at the driver downloads for the Surface Book and I didn't see any Ethernet drivers.
I see the Ethernet driver listed in the Surface Pro driver downloads. So, I'm concerned that means that the USB Ethernet adapter only works or only PXE boots with the Surface Pro and not Surface Book.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need to download any drivers as they are built into the Firmware. So PXE is supported as I mentioned above.

OP
N

netuser

Do UEFI drivers still work when the system boots into WinPE during an OS deployment and during OS installation?
Normally, we have to import network drivers into our deployment workbench.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The drivers are inbox drivers in Windows 8.1/10 so unless you've cleared out the inbox drivers it should be fine (I never had an issue with deployments), they should also be available in the zip or .msi download file

OP
N

netuser

OK, we will try relying on the inbox drivers for the USB Ethernet adapter working for the OS deployment when the Surface Books arrive.

stsmith5150

I get it to boot to my 2012 essentials but once in the restore wizard it does not see a network adapter. I am using the new surface dock

OP
N

netuser

I get it to boot to my 2012 essentials but once in the restore wizard it does not see a network adapter. I am using the new surface dock

Is the driver installed in Windows or not?
I am kind of skeptical that the driver for the USB Ethernet adapter and dock are really in box drivers that don't need to be downloaded from Microsoft before the USB adapter functions in Windows, but I will find out for sure when we receive them.
Even this link from Microsoft says you may need to get online via WiFi before the Ethernet adapter works:
Connect Microsoft Surface to a wired network | Surface Ethernet adapter

If that's true then I will need to be able to download the Ethernet driver and import it into our out of box driver store so we will be able to install the OS from the network.