What's new

Quality?

Neko

20141023_223054_Android.JPG

Hello,
I found this strange problem.
As you can see it is at the footer where never anything touches, but the colour/paint is gone!
Any ideas?​

Liam2349

I've seen it once before, but mine has kept all of its colour so far. I'm not sure how this can happen.

Ramsey

Microsoft has quality control issues. Look at their Xbox and the ps4..huge difference in QC. Weird

kundas1

WOW, just checked mine and it's doing it too... just not as bad yet.. 2 small places at each end of each other.. oh well I don't see it so it's no big deal

OP
N

Neko

I feel so too - I do not see it, it does not effect my performance and so I think I will keep it... :rolleyes:
It actualy seems to be some kind of plastic foil they tried to cover with (magnesium?) paint.
Is there any function in the stand - beside of its name?

InspectHerGadget

It would be from constant movement along with maybe some weight on it.

It could be in a packpack and riding on say a bicycle or on rough roads in a car. It pretty clear it would take both weight and constant movement to do this so this is my guess.

I'm not sure I would count this as a quality defect. It is in a place that would be hard to even see, if you weren't looking for defects. I see what you mean though it is some sort of soft material, rather than the normal anodising.

The SP2 coating would flake off even easier, all around the edges for instance.

It is just one of those things. it is just a coating. Our Surface 2 is almost a year old now with no sign of wear.

My SP3 is only three weeks or so old but not a scratch on it or any sign of wear. I use mine every day but I carry it in a leather folio case and put it in the boot of my car and sometimes stuff is on top.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Surface 2 has one small wear spot on it however, the underlying material is nearly the same color so it doesn't look as bad as this new material with the black underneath. My SP3 has a couple scratches and nicks in on this strip where the black clearly shows up. TBH it's like the lining on the underside of your car hood, not visible under normal circumstances. It's probably there to attenuate any sounds made by the kickstand.

OP
N

Neko

So - after well thinking about it, I decided not to accept these color failures and could exchange my SP3! The shop was very friendly and easily changed it - they also did not see it before.
I think I now know how it happened - often when I work on the sofa I have my feet on the sofa and the SP3 leans totaly open at my knees. As I often wear biker jeans, i gess the hard jeans touched that specific place and as the coating there is weak, it was removed slowely with every move it did on my knees...
This time I will defenetly not use it that way again :(

malberttoo

So - after well thinking about it, I decided not to accept these color failures and could exchange my SP3! The shop was very friendly and easily changed it - they also did not see it before.
I think I now know how it happened - often when I work on the sofa I have my feet on the sofa and the SP3 leans totaly open at my knees. As I often wear biker jeans, i gess the hard jeans touched that specific place and as the coating there is weak, it was removed slowely with every move it did on my knees...
This time I will defenetly not use it that way again :(

....or start wearing silk pajamas when you sit on the sofa. :D

Mine has a very small are of wear as well, and I have never used it with the kickstand all the way open.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The paint on the tape is incredibly thin. A very small amount of pressure from a finger nail will remove it.

At least your tape is still attached though!