What's new

Quality?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The paint on the tape is incredibly thin. A very small amount of pressure from a finger nail will remove it.

At least your tape is still attached though!
Mylar tape might work well, it's nearly indestructible and the color can be mixed into it.

GoodBytes

It happens on the Surface Pro 2 as well and I know why. In the SP2 its harder to see, as it's black, but it get shiny. It's because of teh small friction it does when teh cover slides left and right when the tablet is transport

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It happens on the Surface Pro 2 as well and I know why. In the SP2 its harder to see, as it's black, but it get shiny. It's because of teh small friction it does when teh cover slides left and right when the tablet is transport
Are you saying your kickstand moves side to side? This wear is on the underside of the kickstand. My kickstand has absolutely no wiggle so what you describe is not possible. This is likely due to slight warping of the kickstand and its rubbing the back when opened and closed. Warping my be caused by flexing the kickstand with your hand while holding it or something else including the possibility that how the hinges are attached may apply some pressure causing a slight flex of the kickstand.

GoodBytes

yea it slides left and right. It's minute movement (less than a millimeter), but enough, that over time, it creates friction to shine on my side, and in your case wear off the paint color of the plastic tab thing.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
yea it slides left and right. It's minute movement (less than a millimeter), but enough, that over time, it creates friction to shine on my side, and in your case wear off the paint color of the plastic tab thing.
Like I said, there's no wiggle side to side in my kickstand. Not even a fraction of a micro meter.

malberttoo

Yes there is, close it. Put your hand and you can slide it a hint back and forth.

It's a good theory, but even if there is some sideways give to the kickstand, it's not enough to explain the very large patches that are being worn off. Maybe if the kickstand was sliding an inch in each direction, but obviously it's not.