What's new

Queries about SP3- just about to buy 1

eknirb

I've read stories about poor battery life and also heating issues. How accurate are these stories?

Liam2349

I get 8.5 hours of web browsing/OneNote/PDFs e.t.c. at 40% brightness with my i5.

i7 should be very similar, and i3 lasts a decent bit longer in pure tablet operations, but lasts less in the desktop.

There are no widespread heating issues - some people with i7s had overheating problems. They either exchanged or Windows fixed them. I'm sure I haven't seen many complaints on here.

OP
eknirb

eknirb

I don't think initially I would use it for that long. gonna go with the 256 i5 plus docking station.

Liam2349

I don't think initially I would use it for that long. gonna go with the 256 i5 plus docking station.

It's nice - gets me through the day, I use most of the battery.

i5/256 is probably the best model to go for. Docking station will do you good if you need a desktop setup.

Remember that battery life varies with usage - running loads of calculations in Excel, updating Windows, running virus scans and other demanding activities will drain your battery faster.

OP
eknirb

eknirb

well, what I am thinking of is..I have a nice Win7 media Center HP PC from 2011...works fine. So at some point it may poop out, tho it's not given me any probs, not one. I can pop SP3 in the docking station and hook up my 23" monitor to it, can't i? And then run the Ethernet cable straight into the station, so I can be hardlined in rather than wireless. Or I may do this a year from now with Win10. Also- can I put iTunes on SP3?

Liam2349

well, what I am thinking of is..I have a nice Win7 media Center HP PC from 2011...works fine. So at some point it may poop out, tho it's not given me any probs, not one. I can pop SP3 in the docking station and hook up my 23" monitor to it, can't i? And then run the Ethernet cable straight into the station, so I can be hardlined in rather than wireless. Or I may do this a year from now with Win10. Also- can I put iTunes on SP3?

As long as your monitor has the appropriate connections, which is most likely does, and yes the Ethernet goes into the dock. You can use iTunes on SP3, like all Windows 8 devices but personally I'm not a fan.

OP
eknirb

eknirb

I dont like iTunes either. But I have 12,000 songs in there. What can I put on SP3 instead?

Liam2349

I dont like iTunes either. But I have 12,000 songs in there. What can I put on SP3 instead?

When I listen to music, I always use the XBOX music app and I'm normally using SP3 as a tablet. I mostly just listen to music whilst working out.

If you listen to a lot of music, give the xbox app a try - it's very power efficient, more so than any desktop app you will find. If you want something other than the XBOX app, I think you'll have to get some input from others on here to see what good music software is.

OP
eknirb

eknirb

and can I transfer a bunch of MP3s into it from my Seagate? you know, like a folder of 3-400 songs? hook up a USB and import?