What's new

Question About Power Settings

IridiumCore

Hey everyone,

I've recently come across a SP3 with abnormal power settings. On the machine I'm logged in as admin and have all necessary rights. I get a short list of power options. (attached) I'm used to many more power options. Is it me or is this list accurate for a surface pro 3.

Attachments

• Pro3 Power Options.PNG
    Pro3 Power Options.PNG
    29.7 KB · Views: 481
OP
IridiumCore

IridiumCore

I'm just used to this list with more options. Does it seem like user control is going away?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    50.8 KB · Views: 431

ScottyS

Yes, I have seen that list of options too in the past.
The question is is it still around, hidden behind several of things to drill down on, or did they remove it entirely?

EDIT
Thanks @theveterans, that answers my question.:)
Where do I turn off Standby Network Connected?

No problem scottys

To the OP: You can turn off S0 Low Power Idle by Turning on Hyper-V. This will allow you to get all of the power settings you need and hyper-v capability to boot.

On CMD admin, type:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto

Then restart your SP3. Now you should have all of your options.

OP
IridiumCore

IridiumCore

No problem scottys

To the OP: You can turn off S0 Low Power Idle by Turning on Hyper-V. This will allow you to get all of the power settings you need and hyper-v capability to boot.

On CMD admin, type:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto

Then restart your SP3. Now you should have all of your options.

I gave this a shot.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Also as a reminder - Disabling Connected Standby will also limit your power options to S0 (On), S4 (Hibernate) and S5 (Off). S3 will never be enabled and S0iX is the default.

There is a reason the options are limited on a Connected Standby Machine as the SoC and Power Management Firmware handle the tasks.

OP
IridiumCore

IridiumCore

Ok well with that said I'm going to stop looking for them. I have a habit of not knowing when to leave well enough alone. this SP3 works way well enough for me to the thing I do. I have a all day battery yesterday so I guess I'm good.

Thanks everyone for the help.

ScottyS

Agree. I just got a new (refurbished) SP3 to replace my old one using MS Complete, and it has a new battery ( > 42,000 mWh, only charged 2 cycles which I did).
I used it at a conference yesterday for 8 hours, mostly in sleep but with me pressing the power button to jot down notes in OneNote with pen, occasional photos and some other uses (WiFi and Bluetooth on, screen 50%) and at the end of the day it said I still had more than 6 hours remaining. Compared to the way it first worked when it came out with Win8, I'd say they finally got power management working a lot better.

OP
IridiumCore

IridiumCore

You did better than me. off power my screen is @40% no Bluetooth, WiFi unless I need them. at the moment and with WiFi it tells me at 80% I have 5hrs and 2minutes later 7hrs, 52 minutes.