What's new

question about remote desktop

kristalsoldier

OK. I have now been able to use RDP to work on my Host computer. I had to turn on and off the router and refresh the "View Network Computers and Devices" option under Network and Sharing. However, I still can't see the Home Group that I create on the Host PC.

Edit: In fact, I am editing this post using RDP!

kristalsoldier

It was an interesting experience. I found that if I enabled sharing the Libraries on the Host PC with the Home Group for some reason the Home Group becomes visible to the RT after which connecting was instantaneous. I really wish MS issued (or issues) (1) a very simple "how-to" for both RDP and HomeGroups and (2) makes both these virtually plug and play. Thanks again!

kristalsoldier

About Home Groups: I also noticed (and this is probably very well known, but I thought I would flag it) that when connected to a Home Group, the RT can access files from the Host computer, however, the Host Computer cannot access files from the RT - apparently, this is a limitation of RT, which is quite puzzling. But whatever.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
RT has the Server Service disabled so that it can't be a host, I've not attempted to enable it as my RT is the Window into the rest of my computing world ;) . Seriously though, I bought a 1TB NAS that plugs into my Home Network and I use it for central storage.

kristalsoldier

RT has the Server Service disabled so that it can't be a host, I've not attempted to enable it as my RT is the Window into the rest of my computing world ;) . Seriously though, I bought a 1TB NAS that plugs into my Home Network and I use it for central storage.

Nice! That is next on my list. I would really like to get and set up a NAS. Is it a complicated process?

Dush

I do about 95% of my Business through RDP from my Surface RT to my Quad Core Desktop, and this very often is through a VPN connection, I run complex Macros, use Outlook and OneNote and Lync for IMs (and when required to host a meeting I have Lync dial my Windows Phone). Once you are RDP'd into the host it works just as if you were sitting in front of it with the added benefit if the host is Windows 8 Pro or greater, it becomes a Windows 8 Tablet with full multitouch support. :)

How is your VPN configured? I can't VPN on my RT because I would need a Juniper Junos client, but Microsoft store doesn't have that for RT.

kristalsoldier

How is your VPN configured? I can't VPN on my RT because I would need a Juniper Junos client, but Microsoft store doesn't have that for RT.

Well, in my case it was quite simple really. I configured it via Network Connections - obviously not using any app though.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I bought a home NAS that plugs into the router and it gets an IP address from DHCP and it shows up in the Network. Unfortunately it seems that many on the market needs to a Windows 7 box to configure the account, etc.. But overall it is very simple.

J515OP

Super Moderator

Dush, I think you missed the point. The host is VPNed and the RT is RDP to the VPN via the host. This is how you get around the RT VPN restrictions :)