Question about resolution and multiple monitors

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by Curtis, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Curtis

Curtis New Member

Hi all...

First time poster and longtime lurker...did a brief search and couldn't find the info, so I thought I would ask.

Looking at getting a Surface Pro 3 i7 512 GB when they are released, in addition to the Microsoft dock - in order to replace my desktop computer. That is where the question comes in...

I currently have a triple monitor setup with my desktop, and, when moving to the Surface I would wish to keep that. I know that I can add USB to DVI adaptors and whatnot, but would rather keep the USB ports open to avoid having to add a hub. This will be my first foray into the mini displayport for monitors - so...my question is this:

I have found a triple mini displayport to DVI/HDMI/DP (which I would convert to DVI again) online and wanted to know if that would work. The reason I ask is that I have been reading that the SP3 only supports 2 monitors, but then in other areas it states that it spreads out a max resolution.

I have 3 -19 inch Samsung Syncmaster monitors that I love and wish to continue using. They are old enough to not have DP connections (only DVI) so daisy-chaining is out of the questions. My current setup has the resolution at 1440 X 900 - with this information can anyone tell me if I can run the Surface and the 3 additional monitors off of the single MDP in the dock?

Thanks in advance...

2. malberttoo

malberttoo Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I know that Microsoft has said for sure that i5 and i7 can drive (2) external displays, at up to 2880 x 1800 each. Not sure about the 3 display setups, but several folks here have done it I believe, so I'll bet you'll be hearing from them soon.

i3 can only drive (2) external displays at 1920 x 1200.

3. Curtis

Curtis New Member

Would love to hear from someone that has an i5 that could provide insight on this

4. JesseDiaz

JesseDiaz Member

i5/256 User - Got my SP3 to show 2 external displays and itself. Cannot do 3 external displays and the SP3. If I turn off the SP3 display, then I can use 3 external monitors

Oh and this is using the mini display port on the SP3 and then daisy chaining

5. Curtis

Curtis New Member

Hmmm...so is it fairly simple to turn off the SP3 display?