What's new

Question about resolution and multiple monitors

Curtis

Hi all...

First time poster and longtime lurker...did a brief search and couldn't find the info, so I thought I would ask.

Looking at getting a Surface Pro 3 i7 512 GB when they are released, in addition to the Microsoft dock - in order to replace my desktop computer. That is where the question comes in...

I currently have a triple monitor setup with my desktop, and, when moving to the Surface I would wish to keep that. I know that I can add USB to DVI adaptors and whatnot, but would rather keep the USB ports open to avoid having to add a hub. This will be my first foray into the mini displayport for monitors - so...my question is this:

I have found a triple mini displayport to DVI/HDMI/DP (which I would convert to DVI again) online and wanted to know if that would work. The reason I ask is that I have been reading that the SP3 only supports 2 monitors, but then in other areas it states that it spreads out a max resolution.

I have 3 -19 inch Samsung Syncmaster monitors that I love and wish to continue using. They are old enough to not have DP connections (only DVI) so daisy-chaining is out of the questions. My current setup has the resolution at 1440 X 900 - with this information can anyone tell me if I can run the Surface and the 3 additional monitors off of the single MDP in the dock?

Thanks in advance...

malberttoo

I know that Microsoft has said for sure that i5 and i7 can drive (2) external displays, at up to 2880 x 1800 each. Not sure about the 3 display setups, but several folks here have done it I believe, so I'll bet you'll be hearing from them soon.

i3 can only drive (2) external displays at 1920 x 1200.

JesseDiaz

i5/256 User - Got my SP3 to show 2 external displays and itself. Cannot do 3 external displays and the SP3. If I turn off the SP3 display, then I can use 3 external monitors

Oh and this is using the mini display port on the SP3 and then daisy chaining