What's new

Question for AmiDuOS Users - download Google Play Video?

DLCPhoto

I am intrigued by the potential for AmiDuOS bringing Android compatibility to my Surface 3. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, as it is running just beautifully now, and hate to mess it up for something that might not be necessary.

Anyway, I discovered recently that with Google Play Video, I can download purchased movies to my Android Tablet, for offline viewing, but there is no option to do this with Windows. We're about to head out of town, with long flights, and it would be handy to be able to do this.

So - has anybody using AmiDuOS tried, or been able to, download purchased Google Play TV or Video files to their Windows based Surface 3?

Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
D

DLCPhoto

I never did get any responses here, but I went ahead and tried it for myself.

I have the trial version of AMIDuOS, for Lollipop, installed on my S3 (4gb/128gb version). It runs quite well, and I haven't really run into any problems.

I saw the recent announcement that Amazon now allows downloading of Amazon Prime Video, for offline viewing, on Android and iOS devices, but not to PC. So I installed the Amazon Instant Video App in AMIDuOS, logged in, and was able to successfully download and view an Amazon Prime Video Movie I wanted to watch.

I then went to the Google Play Store, and similarly was able to download a Movie I had purchased, to the Surface 3, and can now watch that offline as well.

This really gives me the best of both worlds!

FWIW, I am sticking with Windows 8.1. Things are working too well, and I've been monitoring the Forum for the various problems people run into with Windows 10, that I'm in no hurry to upgrade.

muffin_man

I've been downloading goggle play movies on my sp2 with amiduos for a while. While it works well and is very convenient, the movies are either not full high definition or have some weird artifacting, especially on dark scenes.

Not nearly as clear as any basic 1920x1080 android tablet. Haven't tried lollipop yet.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never did get any responses here, but I went ahead and tried it for myself.

I have the trial version of AMIDuOS, for Lollipop, installed on my S3 (4gb/128gb version). It runs quite well, and I haven't really run into any problems.

I saw the recent announcement that Amazon now allows downloading of Amazon Prime Video, for offline viewing, on Android and iOS devices, but not to PC. So I installed the Amazon Instant Video App in AMIDuOS, logged in, and was able to successfully download and view an Amazon Prime Video Movie I wanted to watch.

I then went to the Google Play Store, and similarly was able to download a Movie I had purchased, to the Surface 3, and can now watch that offline as well.

This really gives me the best of both worlds!

FWIW, I am sticking with Windows 8.1. Things are working too well, and I've been monitoring the Forum for the various problems people run into with Windows 10, that I'm in no hurry to upgrade.
Yeah, go figure, when I first used Amazon Prime video on the PC, back when iPad & Android was not even a twinkle in their creators eyes, you could download videos and watch offline. and Web sites worked in your browser, now they are formatted for some small screen mobile device and look like some Big Bird reject project.

OP
D

DLCPhoto

I've been downloading goggle play movies on my sp2 with amiduos for a while. While it works well and is very convenient, the movies are either not full high definition or have some weird artifacting, especially on dark scenes.

Not nearly as clear as any basic 1920x1080 android tablet. Haven't tried lollipop yet.

Interesting - I haven't looked at the quality issue yet; just did a download, and verified that it was working. Will have to take a look at this and see what the quality is.

OP
D

DLCPhoto

Yeah, go figure, when I first used Amazon Prime video on the PC, back when iPad & Android was not even a twinkle in their creators eyes, you could download videos and watch offline. and Web sites worked in your browser, now they are formatted for some small screen mobile device and look like some Big Bird reject project.

Yeah, I saw how there used to be a way to downloaded on a PC, but that is no longer an option.

I wonder why they want to give PC's such a hard time. I'm sure there's a financial or Digital Protection motivation behind it, but I'm not sure exactly how that would work...