What's new

Question for those who have taken advantage of the advanced exchange.

lnwj

Hello all,

I have an i7 SP3 with some hardware issues. In the past I have just driven the 90 minutes to a Microsoft Store because I've not really had any experience with the MyService Surface warranty site. Is there anyone here who has done the "Advanced Exchange" on their site? I'd like to know if they send out referb units or is it the still factory sealed new unit like the do in the stores?

Thanks for any guidance on the matter.

OP
L

lnwj

That's disappointing to hear, I guess I will be making a trip back to the MS store.

Thanks for the reply grumpy!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure you can guarantee getting a new unit at the store or that it would necessarily be better.

I have bought numerous refurbished computers over the years and outside of the sticker on them you couldn't tell the difference with a new one, nor have I ever had a problem with one. In a way your taking a chance with a new unit as an unknown quantity where a refurbished unit has been tested and certified.

malberttoo

Not sure you can guarantee getting a new unit at the store or that it would necessarily be better.

I have bought numerous refurbished computers over the years and outside of the sticker on them you couldn't tell the difference with a new one, nor have I ever had a problem with one. In a way your taking a chance with a new unit as an unknown quantity where a refurbished unit has been tested and certified.

I tend to agree with you there. While my first gut reaction is to always want "shiny and new", I've had a couple laptops and servers from Dell that were refurbs, and at least with the servers, there was no possible way to look inside thing and tell it was refurbished, they were just so clean and worked flawlessly.

tuchas

Going to the MS Store is no guarantee you will get a brand new unit. Recently I had a problem with mine which I bought less that 30 days ago. Took it to the local MS store and they wanted to give me one that was in a plain brown box. Sales person told me it was still a brand new unit, but later I discovered these could be refurbs. Good thing I demanded a brand new unit at the store. Besides, the brown box unit was DOA when we checked it out.

If you are beyond the 30 day window, even if you have MS Complete, you may not have a choice. Perhaps call the store and ask a manager about brown box units just to be sure. It may save yourself a 90 minute trip.

grumpy

I have had the worst luck with MS refurbs. If the refurb unit was originally returned for some non-issue, then it is probably fine - but if it required repair, there is a good chance it will have issues. Also, MS does not seem to address cosmetic issues in their refurbished units.

The store may be 90 minutes away, but I would not call ahead of time - it will only give them a chance to say "no". Your best bet is to show up saying that you just drove two (or three) hours and when you called MS support they said that you could get a new unit from an MS store (of course, you conveniently did not get the phone rep's name ;)). The stores seem to have discretion in these matters, so it can't hurt to give it a try - you are only out a few hours.

And regardless of what they may claim, anything not in a sealed retail box is a refurbished unit.