What's new

[Question] Leave in sleep mode or turn off?

JotaR

Was wondering what the pro's & cons are for just leaving my SP 3 on all the time - allowing it to go into sleep mode when not using? Any issues with never fully shutting down?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see any issues with never shutting down. you're likely to get a reboot one a month for updates anyway.

The only issue I'm having right now with my USB docking station is it keeps waking everything up. whatever is connected, laptop, surface etc. is coming back on after a while then going to sleep again. so the deep sleep that supposed to happen isn't. No issues if I disconnect the USB dock though. the dock even wakes up the HDD if its connected to the dock even though the dock is not connected to a computer... and I just saw a couple articles about stealth USB malware :) got get with the dock vendor today...

Geneo

I usually leave mine on all day long (it doesn't hurt it), cause I'm constantly picking it up, and let it go to sleep (nap?) when it wants.
BUT, I usually turn it off at night. Not only does it stop it from using the battery, a shutdown/restart clears the memory and let's it start off the day "refreshed" and "renewed" (just like us sleeping at night). Also, some updates won't finish installing until it's restarted.

I'd never let it go without restarting at least once a week. Yes, there can be "issues".

OP
JotaR

JotaR

So its kind like

Pros to always on:
Instant On
Stays Connected
Can take right where you left off.

Cons:
Likely needs a restart every so often anyway to keep it in tip top shape.
Uses power.

And someone told me that Microsoft said the battery charge could last 100 years in sleep mode. If that is so, the amount of power used to start it up may be more than the amount used to maintain it in InstantGo mode.

The occasional restart of Windows probably has some merit. However, the patching schedule may be sufficient for that purpose.

I liked the idea of turn on during day and shutdown at night, I think is the best way to keep it.

Ill do that. :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Microsoft said that in Hibernation not Sleep... and I don't think they said 100 years...

0-4 Hours Connected Standby (Marketed as IntantGo)
4-12 Hours Lite Hibernation
12+ Hours Deep Hibernation (IIRC it is up to 1 Year)

kozak79

I turn mine off, I just added a Power and Reset tiles to Start Screen. I turn it off to save battery and since it takes as much time to turn on from being off as it does when it's hibernating, I don't see why I would need it to hibernate, and turn on by itself for some reason in my bag and overheat (which has happened with my SP2).

dleuen

I just let mine sleep/hibernate using the power button set up as default. Throughout the day it is usually just in sleep mode and in the mornings it will need to wake from hibernate. I charge it about every other day, depending how low the battery gets. So basically I just don't worry about it and it works fine. Not even sure last time I rebooted. Probably last update that needed it. I use it for note taking at work, viewing videos, surfing the web, music production, software development, reading, and occasional gaming.

MadCruzer

I pretty much have no need for connected standby so I find my self shutting down every time I am done. Takes less then 10s to start back up which is fine for me.

OP
JotaR

JotaR

I was doing that too MadCruzer, but i have concerns about that, so im shuting down just at night, one time a day, so it gets updated as well.

I know maybe has nothing to worry about, like i have an ipad and never shut it down

But it seems like more appropriated.