What's new

Question on power option settings after the last Surface update

After the last major Surface update that corrected most if not all issues, like the connected standby, I have some questions.
Before that update, I did things to help my surface work better. I enabled hibernate, and disabled connected standby.
Now the new update was installed and I decided to put the SP4 back to original settings and see how things are like. I regedit and disabled hibernate and made sure connected standby is enabled (It was already. I'm guessing the update turned it back on.) So as far as the screen looks, when I click Power, I see sleep, shutdown, restart. So hibernate is gone.
In control panel, I check power options. I'm in balanced mode. I check advanced settings.... The only options I see now is desktop background settings, power buttons and lid, display, and battery. Everything else is gone. I THOUGHT the other options was there before like USB settings, PCI Express, Processor power management, Multimedia settings? Was it really that limited before?

Yillbs

After the last major Surface update that corrected most if not all issues, like the connected standby, I have some questions.
Before that update, I did things to help my surface work better. I enabled hibernate, and disabled connected standby.
Now the new update was installed and I decided to put the SP4 back to original settings and see how things are like. I regedit and disabled hibernate and made sure connected standby is enabled (It was already. I'm guessing the update turned it back on.) So as far as the screen looks, when I click Power, I see sleep, shutdown, restart. So hibernate is gone.
In control panel, I check power options. I'm in balanced mode. I check advanced settings.... The only options I see now is desktop background settings, power buttons and lid, display, and battery. Everything else is gone. I THOUGHT the other options was there before like USB settings, PCI Express, Processor power management, Multimedia settings? Was it really that limited before?

Yes, the only way this could be accessed was if you made the regedit, but if you left the regedit on, then the device would not have connected sleep. Make the changes ( the power options you want ), save them, THEN make the regedit , THEN make the more in depth changes, then change registry again, and reboot. I did this to accomplish a " extreme power " saving mode, where my CPU is throttled to 20%, screen is at 25%, and everything else is basically stripped down. gives me about another hour or two out of the bad boy, and i still have connected standby.

OP
S

starstreak

So I ran availableslepstates. So this is correct, right? Or should Hibernation be on? It looks weird seeing only Standby (S0) being the only thing available.

C:\WINDOWS\system32> powercfg /availablesleepstates
The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S3)

Hibernate
Hibernation has not been enabled.

Hybrid Sleep
Standby (S3) is not available.
Hibernation is not available.

Fast Startup
Hibernation is not available.

OP
S

starstreak

Does this mean my connected standby was on for 8:38hrs? Is that correct? Or is it supposed to be on for just a little while and then turn off?

2016-02-21 05:56:03 Active 0:05:00 - -
06:01:03 Connected standby 0:14:37 - -
06:15:41 Active 0:10:44 5 % 2,055 mWh
06:26:25 Connected standby 0:58:39 1 % 255 mWh
07:25:04 Active 0:00:18 - 52 mWh
07:25:22 Connected standby 0:02:43 - 90 mWh
07:28:06 Active 0:00:58 - 98 mWh
07:29:04 Connected standby 8:38:18 4 % 1,710 mWh
17:14:00 Active 0:01:59 1 % 255 mWh

OP
S

starstreak

I think I had it in sleep mode from 7pm-4am. I took the surface out of the bag and it was warm. Battery went from 80%-66%. either I have something set wrong or sleep still not working like it should.