What's new

Questions relating to closing apps

Correct me if I am a wrong here.

In order to "remove" an app from the system tray (but have it still running in the background), you can swipe from the top middle all the way down and release.

In order to completely exit the app, you do the same thing but hold at the bottom for 3 seconds.

What is the pros/cons for both?

Also it says on the Microsoft website that you should exit all desktop apps before you shut down. Does this include MUI apps as well? Why can't we just shut down with everything active?

Attached is a picture of the website.

Attachments

• Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    70.7 KB · Views: 478

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
All Apps that are built using the Windows Run Time (WinRT aka - Modern or Metro) should be able to be suspended, they hold on to resources for a fixed period of time and then those resources are released back into the pool.

The Advantages of suspending MUI Apps is they start much quicker and you can pick up where you left off, disadvantages, not all App Developers do a good job with resource management and suspend and these apps tend to lose some stability when suspended for lengthy periods of time, also they do consume resources while suspended and if there are many apps suspended it may slow the machine down.

Closing vs. Suspending comes down to resource availability and personal preference.

Desktop Applications are typically written using the .NET Runtime (Managed Code) or in Native Code (C or C++) and typically do not suspend well (even using the S3 Sleep Power State or S4 Hibernation), depending on the applications in may successfully enter S3 or S4 without issue or legacy or poorly coded may crash or prevent the machine from entering into the low/no Power States. Unless I have a compelling reason to do so I close most Win32 Applications.