What's new

Quickest 128GIG Micro SD card options

Brian1970

Hi Folks,
Im planning to put my iTunes music, films, videos on the Micro SD expansion card.
Im currently testing with a 64GIG SanDisk Ultra XC1 which is only 30MB sec read Write.

Yes it does work OK while playing a HD film from iTunes, from the SD card, but I think it could be better.

Will a 50 or 80 MB read Write, make any difference ? Can the Card port achieve the extra card speed, or is paying the extra price for a 80MBsec card not cost effective ?

Has anyone to any UK sites that sell good value Micro SD Cards ?
Ive been looking and prices are all over the place.

On another note, is iTunes the way to go ?
Since iTunes was mass marketed I have used it, Apple all the way, now with the release of SP3 my apple devices are sitting about and im wondering is it time to try something different ?

Brian
SP3 i7 512 GIG

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wait for the Samsung Pro Series to release 128gb SD card, currently its 64gb with 90 MBps speed. That said iTunes shouldn't need anywhere near that so it shouldn't matter. More specifically a 1080p stream needs about 8mbps of bandwidth and 4k stream is said to require 15mbps.

Note those mbps figures are roughly equivalent to 1 and 2 MBps as networking/streaming speeds are quotes in bits per second and disk speeds in bytes per second.

If iTunes performs noticeably poorly off on SD card it would be due to its inefficiencies not so much the limits of the SD card.

graye

Here is a story that you need to read...

I bought the SanDisk "Extreme Plus" 64GB microSD card... and it didn't work very well in the SP3. It kept "disappearing" and making the SP3 periodically "freeze/stutter". You'll find quite a few references to the SanDisk cards in this forum... all referring to the same problem.

Some folks say that the solution is to wrap tape around the card to make it thicker... implying that the SanDisk card is not as thick as other cards. This didn't work for me (even after trying several layers of tape). I also would dismiss the notion that the card is too thin (I measured with a micrometer, its the same as other brands).

The bottom line is... SanDisk brand cards don't always work well in the SP3... but apparently work just fine in other devices. So, it's hard to point a finger at who to blame.

Anyway, my solution was to purchase another brand SD card.. a Samsung Pro (as the original reply also suggests). It works perfectly fine in my SP3.

Sassi

Here is a story that you need to read...

I bought the SanDisk "Extreme Plus" 64GB microSD card... and it didn't work very well in the SP3. It kept "disappearing" and making the SP3 periodically "freeze/stutter". You'll find quite a few references to the SanDisk cards in this forum... all referring to the same problem.

Some folks say that the solution is to wrap tape around the card to make it thicker... implying that the SanDisk card is not as thick as other cards. This didn't work for me (even after trying several layers of tape). I also would dismiss the notion that the card is too thin (I measured with a micrometer, its the same as other brands).

The bottom line is... SanDisk brand cards don't always work well in the SP3... but apparently work just fine in other devices. So, it's hard to point a finger at who to blame.

Anyway, my solution was to purchase another brand SD card.. a Samsung Pro (as the original reply also suggests). It works perfectly fine in my SP3.

Oh dear I just ordered a 128gb San Disk card and it's been shipped :( I hope I don't have those issues as it was pretty expensive.

kundas1

I've found them all to be a gimmick... I bought a SanDisk extreme 64GB 80 mb/s that I paid $199 and I don't find it that fast, maybe unless it's the SP3 port that can't do the speed? but the fastest speed I get upto is like 42 ish MB/s

grumpy

While advertised speed are often exaggerated, I have been using the Samsung cards in my SP2 and they perform very close to their rated speeds. Although for just playing media, a fast card is not required. I have some applications installed on mine, so the extra speed is welcome.

Knuck

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Have a SanDisk 64gb Extreme Plus without issues. I consistently get read/write speeds averaging at 52 Mb/s.

mennogreg

I have a Samsung 64GB Pro in my Surface Pro (1st gen) and it's been plenty fast (though perhaps not at advertised speeds) and have had no issues. Have a 128GB Sandisk in my Pro 3 and have had no issues related to that.

Enrico D.

Just a question a bit off topic

but on the sd card, can we install a program? I mean use it as it is an hard drive, so for example we want to install Skype for deskop, Photoshop or other, can we use that micro sd hard drive? or this is not possible?