What's new

Random BSOD crahses kernel_data_inpage_error

GeorgeB01

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me fix this issue? (Or at least clarify if it is a hardware or software issue).

I recently bought my surface book 1 from Amazon. It had many issues to begin with but most were solved by windows updates. I was optimistic and thought everything was ok, however, it continues to randomly crash. It shows a ':( windows encountered an error' for one second and without getting to 100% it turns off and shows the 'SURFACE' boot screen and just hangs there until I manually reset it with the power button. It has taken many of these crashes for me to be finally able to read the error message "kernel_data_inpage_error" or sometimes "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area". Seems like a paging issue? I have run chkdsk and memcheck but both showed no errors...

I have spoken to Microsoft and they say there isn't much they can do as I am out of warranty because I did not buy it from them.

Any help is hugely appreciated!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me fix this issue? (Or at least clarify if it is a hardware or software issue).

I recently bought my surface book 1 from Amazon. It had many issues to begin with but most were solved by windows updates. I was optimistic and thought everything was ok, however, it continues to randomly crash. It shows a ':( windows encountered an error' for one second and without getting to 100% it turns off and shows the 'SURFACE' boot screen and just hangs there until I manually reset it with the power button. It has taken many of these crashes for me to be finally able to read the error message "kernel_data_inpage_error" or sometimes "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area". Seems like a paging issue? I have run chkdsk and memcheck but both showed no errors...

I have spoken to Microsoft and they say there isn't much they can do as I am out of warranty because I did not buy it from them.

Any help is hugely appreciated!

When I've seen this with the Surface Book it has been related to the NVIDIA GPU Driver - did you update to one of the NVIDIA drivers? If so, roll-back. Or have you set it has the default via the NVIDIA Control Panel?

OP
G

GeorgeB01

When I've seen this with the Surface Book it has been related to the NVIDIA GPU Driver - did you update to one of the NVIDIA drivers? If so, roll-back. Or have you set it has the default via the NVIDIA Control Panel?
Thanks for the reply, I should have mentioned I have the 256GB Core i5 8GB version of the first Surface Book with the standard GPU. I have not updated the GPU drivers however the other day I did download the Microsoft driver package and install it in efforts to fix the issue. (It did not work). I have never seen the NVIDIA Control Panel and the driver date in device manager says 19/10/17 (I bought the laptop on 17/1/2018). Interesting that the GPU drivers would mess with paging? I have also seen online that its an issue with the sound card drivers. None of this seems to add up really. Thank you, though, I will keep looking into it and please if you can think of anything let me know. :)

EDIT: Is it odd that in device manager under display adapters it just says 'NVIDIA GeForce GPU' no model number or anything?

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Bump: This keeps happening and is incredibly annoying. Any help, please?
The NVIDIA GPU is a heavily modified 960...that is one of the reasons that the NVIDIA WHQL drivers can mess with stability of the device. On the SB2 MS moved to stock 1050/1060 GPUs

OP
G

GeorgeB01

The NVIDIA GPU is a heavily modified 960...that is one of the reasons that the NVIDIA WHQL drivers can mess with stability of the device. On the SB2 MS moved to stock 1050/1060 GPUs

Thank you for the reply, I was hesitant to go in and start messing with the GPU as my last laptop met it's demise by I doing exactly that:(. So, considering both errors mentioned page files (I hate page files, don't ask why) I decided to disable then activate page files thus destroying and creating a new page file hopefully replacing the one with errors. So far so good *fingers crossed*.