What's new

Random Firmware updates

Is anyone else repeatedly and randomly getting small <200K Firmware Updates dated 6/10/14. What are they? The "more info" link goes to a general MS update landing page. I have applied all updates, firmware and otherwise on or close to Patch Tuesday back on 6/10 but its now 6/30 and I'm still receiving these random mini updates; one of which I suspect has bonked my system as I'm now getting runaway idle processes again that remain until reboot!!!!

So frustrated now since I'm back to Task Manager watching all day to make sure I'm not needlessly burning through my battery.

here's the update history, again there is no detailed info about this update:
Capture2.JPG

Last edited:

GoodBytes

If you replace a driver, the system firmware will appear again.
It may also be because you disabled something in Device Manager, and the firmware tries to install it.

OP
S

SteveBorough

If you replace a driver, the system firmware will appear again.
It may also be because you disabled something in Device Manager, and the firmware tries to install it.

I only replaced the video driver with Intel's latest shortly after 6/10/14 since the new MS one caused banding. These ~100Kb updates are not video drivers since they are too small and banding has not returned. There are no other devices/drivers I've tweaked since then. I've seen the same thing back in March, and numerous people have reported it on this forum: http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/.../8727-got-march-fw-update-twice-how-come.html

Nuspieds

You're not alone...the same thing is happening to me and has happened to me. The March update has so far been the worst offender.

OP
S

SteveBorough

I hope you're joking, I strongly believe this update has caused high idle CPU to come back for me, has happened 4 times in 2 days. Well whatever, fix it!

Compusmurf

Now I'm getting these microdriver updates and I'm using all stock drivers as installed by Microsoft. I guess its harmless, but annoying.