What's new

Random reboot and lock up

rubaxter

i5, 256Gb just locked up, and it's a good thing I remember the olde Pro having similar issues.

Kinda sad that instead of getting a sick, sinking feeling when something like this happens you just feel disappointed that YET AGAIN a vendor can't ship a product that properly implements power options, or the like.

Got a Dell workstation running a $1mil piece of equipment that used to lock up because the software key usb dongle kept on powering down due to an 'undocumented feature' in the power management programming.

Guess MS, the kings of 'undocumented features for no additional cost to you!!', haven't learned much, yet.

Where's the Customer Support Section of Sirius Cybernetics when you need them...

OP
HarnessTech

HarnessTech

I hate to recommend it but a refresh and/or reset are most likely in order, if that doesn't fix it and might be time for an RMA.

I tried doing a refresh, but started having lots of trouble. Lots of locking up, strange behavior with programs and instability. So I chucked it all and did a full factory reset.

Once it was back up in running order, I started installing updates. I started by carefully only installing "important" updates. then I'd restart, then install another wave. It probably took about 6 or 7 reboots. Note also that I did install the 8/19 update when it showed up (I think it was the 3rd round when it appeared).

Anyway, it seems to be running better than ever since doing that. However, time will tell. One thing I have noticed which isn't really related to this thread but is related to the factory reset -- it doesn't run as hot as it used to.

OP
HarnessTech

HarnessTech

Update: at first, the factory reset was great. After a few days, however, it started locking up more than ever before. This morning I started an advanced exchange from Microsoft and am now awaiting the arrival of the new one. Since then, this SP3 has given me a blue screen, then forced itself to reboot, then locked up during reboot -- three times today.

For the record and if anyone is interested, it is the i5 256GB model, lot number 1427.

malberttoo

Update: at first, the factory reset was great. After a few days, however, it started locking up more than ever before. This morning I started an advanced exchange from Microsoft and am now awaiting the arrival of the new one. Since then, this SP3 has given me a blue screen, then forced itself to reboot, then locked up during reboot -- three times today.

For the record and if anyone is interested, it is the i5 256GB model, lot number 1427.

Glad to hear you have a new one on the way. Sounds like you definitely did all you reasonably could to resolve the issue.

OP
HarnessTech

HarnessTech

Thank you. I was surprised because at first there were no issues whatsoever. But as time went on, the problems started and became more frequent. I still love my SP3 and look forward to receiving the new one.

OP
HarnessTech

HarnessTech

Interestingly, I received the replacement SP3 and it is from an earlier lot than my original. When I turned it on, it seemed to already be setup for an administrator user but said permissions had been revoked. So I rebooted and it let me in anyway, then I ran a full factory reset.

After that was done, I installed all of the updates. Then I ran some tests. It seems stable, but it runs generally MUCH hotter than my original SP3 when doing very basic tasks.

I can also report, however, that after installing the 9/9/2014 updates on my original SP3 that it seems to be running just fine now. It was on all day yesterday after installing the updates, went to sleep a few times and never locked up. It's been on all day today since about 8am and I haven't experienced a single blue screen, lockup, or any other problems.

So I think the obvious thing to do is to return the exchange unit they just sent me. LOL

For the record, my original SP3 is from lot 1427 and the replacement they sent was from lot 1423. The replacement even seemed like it was used. I honestly believed they'd be sending me a replacement from a newer lot.

Since I have 15 days to return the replacement unit, I will continue to play with both of them to see how things go. But I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with my first one at this point.

grumpy

Interestingly, I received the replacement SP3 and it is from an earlier lot than my original. When I turned it on, it seemed to already be setup for an administrator user but said permissions had been revoked. So I rebooted and it let me in anyway, then I ran a full factory reset.

After that was done, I installed all of the updates. Then I ran some tests. It seems stable, but it runs generally MUCH hotter than my original SP3 when doing very basic tasks.

I can also report, however, that after installing the 9/9/2014 updates on my original SP3 that it seems to be running just fine now. It was on all day yesterday after installing the updates, went to sleep a few times and never locked up. It's been on all day today since about 8am and I haven't experienced a single blue screen, lockup, or any other problems.

So I think the obvious thing to do is to return the exchange unit they just sent me. LOL

For the record, my original SP3 is from lot 1427 and the replacement they sent was from lot 1423. The replacement even seemed like it was used. I honestly believed they'd be sending me a replacement from a newer lot.

Since I have 15 days to return the replacement unit, I will continue to play with both of them to see how things go. But I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with my first one at this point.

Welcome to refurbished roulette... If you plan on shipping back the replacement, it is advisable that you call support and inform them of that or they may charge your credit card when they don't receive an Sp3 with serial number of your current device.

OP
HarnessTech

HarnessTech

I've explained to MS support that I want to return the replacement unit instead of the original unit no less than 15 times to 3 representatives and they still don't get it. *sigh*

OP
HarnessTech

HarnessTech

Shoot me now. I have to return the original, not the bogus replacement or they will charge me for the replacement. So I have to send back the one that is working good now and keep the crappy replacement unit. Then they will send me another replacement. This is a terrible customer service experience. Shouldn't they be working with me instead of causing grief? It's not like I bought a $50 printer...

OP
HarnessTech

HarnessTech

So they assigned a specific rep to my case. "Mary" contacts me via email every couple of days to follow-up and let me know what's going on. The process is still ridiculous, but at least I have a rep that knows the case and keeps in contact so I don't have to explain my situation 27 million times to different reps.

Furthermore, Mary says she will make sure I get a new unit or one from a newer lot than my original, at the very least. I told her that I bought a NEW product with the expectation that it would function properly so therefore I should get a NEW replacement. It's not my fault that it was defective in the first place so why should I be punished with a refurb product?

Crossing my fingers but certainly not expecting a miracle at this point.

Last edited: