What's new

ReadyBoost - Totally Eliminated from the Surface Pro?

HD_Dude

Just for the fun of it, I opened up the properties of my 64GB mini SD card, with the intention of applying a few RAM to the ReadyBoost function. I've done that with every PC I've had since ReadyBoost was introduced.

But for the first time in (my) history - I got this message:

"ReadyBoost is not enabled because the computer is fast enough that ReadyBoost is unlikely to provide additional benefit."

Ummm....

OK, so setting aside the fact that Microsoft is making that decision for us....is 4GB RAM really 'fast enough?' Wouldn't kicking it up to 8GB with ReadyBoost make it absolutely fly? Or - is there something in this configuration that really would make it a waste?

I know, I know -'Jeez, Dude, 4GB ought to be enough for anybody.'

But I'm hoping to get some technical information on this. As in 'The combination of the SSD and the 1.70GHz i5 max out at 4GB...can't handle any more.'

Do the experts here have any thoughts?

Thanks

Wayne Orwig

I assume that reading from the SSD is basically as fast as reading from the SD card. No point in adding another layer of data manipulation.
ReadyBoost makes sense when you have the slower mechanical drive thrashing around.

drksilenc

wayne is correct it is because this system is designed with an ssd. It already has a pagefile that is located on the ssd which is how ready boost works.

OP
HD_Dude

HD_Dude

I assume that reading from the SSD is basically as fast as reading from the SD card. No point in adding another layer of data manipulation.
ReadyBoost makes sense when you have the slower mechanical drive thrashing around.

I see, thanks. That's good information.

This is my first SSD computer. On my previous machines, which had traditional mechanical hard drives, I added ReadyBoost and saw a positive difference in speed; but I didn't realize where the 'boost' really came from.

Again, thanks.