What's new

Recall makes the Surface Pro 3 worthless

yonghong

Hi.

What recall are you referring to? If it's the one for the power cord you are referring to, I would hardly say that makes the SP3 worthless. There are no other recalls that I am aware of.

Yes the SP3 can get warm at times when you push it hard, but other than that, it should run cool. Like next_milenium said above, it's likely you have something running that's causing it to run hot.
I think my last sp3's bad USB port is because the bad fray adaptor cable.

yonghong

I have an i5 128GB Pro 3 and am aware of no recall, other than the power cord replacement. Cord already on its way to me.

ETA OT FYI - Filed claim for new cord on 1/21/16, it will be here today, 1/27/16 - can't complain about this.
Is it just a short power cord or the whole power adaptor MS SENT TO YOU?thanks.

PCAnyWhere

hhmm... I did the replacement AC cord for my SP3; but what about the spare power adapter? Has anyone managed to get a replacement for one of these?

I tried to trade my Surface Pro 3 into Best Buy over the weekend for something that doesn't get so hot, it cooks eggs. Best Buy won't accept a trade-in because of the recall. That makes my Surface Pro essentially worthless.

I am sick of buying Microsoft products because they turn out to be defective. It started with the Xbox 360 (red-ring of death). I had to return my Xbox One for a replacement. Now my Surface Pro 3 is worthless.

I spent over a half hour with Microsoft Support today. This consisted of being shuttled back and forth and placed on long hold times. Finally they said there is nothing that they can do. How do they stay in business?

New Jersey mode time - "it is what it is." Submit for the new power supply on the recall, get it, reset your Surface, sell it on any of Gazelle, Amazon, eBay for whatever you can get out of it, chalk it up to experience, move on. You're going to get more Kool-Aid than empathy up here.