What's new

Received notice on computer stating I had an undetected virus and Trojan and to call 888-279-5428 fo

rice

Unable to remove, has locked up Internet Explorer and will not allow for updates, need help to remove. States dllregisterserver failed with error code x80040201. Google number is a scam.

kundas1

its a serious malware! malwarebytes should get rid of most and spybot should do the rest..good luck sometimes removing that pesk causes all your icons to vanish.. proceed with caution

malberttoo

Yeah what Kundas said- get the free version of malwarebytes and do a full scan. You have something nasty going on.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think malwarebytes works on Windows RT unless this isn't a Surface RT and the post is in the wrong forum.

So is it just the browser that is locked up, can you access files with explorer? Do anything else??? If you have all your stuff backed up you could try doing a Reset if not try a Refresh.

leeshor

Exactly what had me wondering. It would appear it's RT which surprises me and made me think it was a warning from the WEB side not the Surface.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly what had me wondering. It would appear it's RT which surprises me and made me think it was a warning from the WEB side not the Surface.
Yep, could be your standard browser hijacking with scareware, might try resetting to browser defaults. Could possibly be a Flash Attack too.

kundas1

wow didn't even catch that because I thought RT was... unaffected by these Malware stuff, so that's why I assumed it was the Sp3...

jayhawk66

I had the same thing happen on my surface 2. I found that it only affected the IE app, not the IE from the desktop. I was finally able to click on a newsarticle reference in an app, and it went through IE to the newssite. I was then able to delete the tab with the scam messaage. I rebooted and have not

had a furthe rproblem. scam