What's new

Recommend me a monitor with no scaling issues

I think your question was directed at me as I am having the problems ;-)

Dell at full 3440x1440 and SP3 at 2160 x 1440, connected with the Mini DP cable that came with the Monitor. 100% and 150% both (Recommended)

Same scaling problem I see when connecting it to either the Surface Dock or into the Mini DP on the side of SP3. Blurry MS office apps on one monitor and in Chrome. Also I do see the Dell U3415-W occasionally go blank momentarily when connected via the Surface Dock. When this happens it does not blank ling enough for the Dell to pop up its "going to sleep mode" message or whatever it is. Just blank for maybe 2 sec then back on.

It is promising to me that you guys are assuring me this hardware combination can work. Thanks for this. Gives me hope I haven't just wasted a heap of money.

So I am now thinking drivers. I have previously been running a custom SP3 resolution to mitigate scaling on twin Full Def screens. To do this I had installed Intel Display drivers . In device manage I see Display Adapter > Intel (R) HD Graphics Family ver 20.19.15.4331 although I did have the newer 4424 running yesterday with no difference.

What are Display driver versions are your systems showing in device manage please.

SP4 i5 I'm on now drives the U3415-W fine on MS drivers. Driver version is 20.19.15.4409 dated 3/20/2016

OP
L

logger

So I set SP3 to use the Microsoft Basic display adapter. Then used rapr to remove all Dell Monitor and Intel Graphics drivers from my system. No trace of them left. Then used Device Managers update driver facility to download and reload the Microsoft provided Intel HD Graphics drivers for SP3 (20.19.15.4331).
Rebooted, reconnected Dell U3415-W and still the same problem.
So it is not the drivers seemingly. Grrr.

OP
L

logger

Microsoft support are telling me my U3415W is not compatible and may need a firmware update to be so! Can someone see if their SP3 has a driver in device manager> system device called "Surface Display Telemetry".
device manager> system >Surface Display Telemetry
Supposedly it should be there.

Also what revision of U3415W do you guys have. Mines Rev A02 which is written under the small bar code at back.

OP
L

logger

So I have an option to return the U3415W monitor with ~ $200 restock fee. (I purchased it from a store not Dell. ) This way the problem goes away. About 2 hours on the phone with MS and another 1 hour with Dell really did not resolve anything.

OTOH I could keep it. When I set it as the Main Display it is really nice and I can use the SP3 panel for Skype, Sonos and other ancillary stuff.

Interestingly I have found the curved panel to be less of an arc than is ideal. Previously running two 24" screens angled centrally was terrific with no need to move head left or right. Twin offset monitor stands meant I could push the SP dock more rearward too. Down side was the bezel in the middle of course. I feel with the U3415W a need to move sideways to read content at times.

So I could take the monitor back and lose quite a bit of money. Another path is to move on from the SP3 soon which might be a path for me. No doubt a Dell laptop will work well with it!

Last edited:
OP
L

logger

Went to a large chain store that had a several different brands of ultra wide screens on display. Tested my SP3 with Samsung and HP 3440x1440 screens and they exhibeted the same scaling issue as on my Dell U3415W monitor. I then tested the a HP 3440x1440 unit with HP Spectrex360 notebook and it also showed the same problem with blurry spreadsheets when default scaling used. So I have concluded it is a Windows issue and my plan is to keep the Dell U3415W for now and make sure whatever I eventually replace my SP3 with does not run a scaled screen. As long as both monitors are at 100% there is no problem.