What's new

recommendations for a USB splitter?

leeshor

My suggestion for long term is a USB HUB, preferably a powered HUB. They are pretty cheap.

Last edited:

Magic

You can't "split" USB in the traditional sense. You need a Hub.

Some devices draw signifiant power from the USB bus like external hard drives, so they may need a powered port.

Last edited:

daniielrp

Sorry, i am new to this, but why do you recommend a usb hub rather than a usb splitter? And why does it need to be powered??

A USB (powered) Hub will provide the right amount of power to each connected device, whereas a splitter will halve the amount of power (if it is two way, three way would split it in 3 etc.) as you plug in more devices. This can cause problems with a lot of devices as they may not get the right amount of power and will likely malfunction and simply not work.

duanewillis

My suggestion for ling term is a USB HUB, preferably a powered HUB. They are pretty cheap.

Also the new SP dock has multiple USB ports (1 3.0 port and 3 2.0 ports) - I just purchased this and it works great, even with the touch keyboard. But it's even better by using a USB keyboard and mouse that I have for my desktop computer.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

gangolfus

What are your requirements?
--How many ports do you need?
--Does it need to be portable?
--What devices will you be plugging in?
--Are your devices USB 2.0 or 3.0?
--Would integrated ethernet port be useful to you?
--Would an integrated card reader be useful to you?

There are literally 1000's of options, so narrowing them down will be easier if you answer the above questions.

leeshor

The thing about a powered, rather than unpowered HUB is that you don't need to be concerned about how much voltage is being drawn from the port. Hard disk, for instance, draw more power than a USB flash drive. You can get just so much from one USB port before something doesn't work quite right.

OP
R

rushdown

--How many ports do you need? Hmmm...I would say, one for the mouse (the touchpad is okay, just okay), and I'd say 2 for USB hard drives. So, 3 total. I also need one with USB 3.0 for my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. But all these items will not be plugged in at the same time.
--Does it need to be portable? Yes.
--What devices will you be plugging in? Mouse, USB hard drive (probably a WD passport style drive), and some spy eye glasses
--Are your devices USB 2.0 or 3.0? Everything is 2.0 except for the Galaxy Note 3
--Would integrated ethernet port be useful to you? No, I have tethering on my Note 3 so I can use mobile wifi and not have the need for an ethernet port.
--Would an integrated card reader be useful? What is this? Is this like a CAC card reader? I'm guessing I don't need it if I don't know what it is. lol

by the way, thanks for the help guys and gals

Last edited:

Dim-Ize

I chose this one, Satechi 3-Port, because it includes GB Ethernet, which has come in handy a time or two while travelling.

Then I bought a SanDisk Cruzer USB drive from Best Buy. I leave the SanDisk installed in the Satechi all the time. It is formatted as a recovery drive and also for use as housing my File History auto-backups. That leaves two ports open + Ethernet.

External USB drives work as well as my XBox 360 controller.