What's new

Recording i7 temperatures

Ramsey

Greetings,

I just upgraded to an i7 from an i5 and notice some differences in heat. I work as an electrical engineer and due to my work need a device that can manage decent battery life.

I have been reading all the posts carefully about reducing battery life and so forth. BUT my CPU runs much hotter now. So I am tres curious about the average temperatures.

Do any i7 owners here monitor their temperatures? I'd love to compare.

I usually idle at 42 degrees and run from 50-60 degrees with relatively innocuous things bumping it up to the 70's.

Love you all

kundas1

have you made sure that your device is caught up to date with all the updates? also I do know depending on what your running that the i7 does run a little hotter than the other versions, but those temps you posted do sound within the norm... I wouldn't worry so much about it, and just enjoy your device ;)

Aegeas

My i7 does get warm during games, but I don't sweat it. It is a full blown Windows machine in the form of a tablet. It never overheats, it never shuts down, and it keeps things flowing quickly. I would make sure all of the firmware updates are in place, that you aren't using Google Chrome, and then enjoy your machine. The CPU utilization bug is still there in Chrome.

VickiFL

that you aren't using Google Chrome, and then enjoy your machine. The CPU utilization bug is still there in Chrome.

I've been using Google Chrome with my SP3 i3, and have never had any heat issues. I've also never even heard my fan kick on, not once. Is it because it's the i3?

OP
R

Ramsey

I think it might be due to your i3. I have rather systematically taken down temperatures for my surface. I have decided to let it go also.

VickiFL

My husband has a thermal temperature gun. Just aim the red light at the back of the SP3 to get an accurate temperature of the device. You can pick one up at Home Depot for around $35.00, if you are so inclined. Prices vary widely, but you can get a good one for under $50.00. Amazon might also have some good choices.

In case you're interested: (This is just one choice of many. I only provided the link as an example.)

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Temperature-Infrared-Thermometer-Laser/dp/B002YE3FS4

Last edited:

megatronium

The i7 does get hot when running CPU intensive tasks. If you're sensitive to heat and hold your SP3 at the back right of it, you may want to look elsewhere. It still outperforms the i5 and broadwell equipped Yoga 3. It's a beast. I do most of my Premiere work on it. It even outclasses my Core2Quad 9550 which, admittedly is very long in the tooth.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My husband has a thermal temperature gun. Just aim the red light at the back of the SP3 to get an accurate temperature of the device. You can pick one up at Home Depot for around $35.00, if you are so inclined. Prices vary widely, but you can get a good one for under $50.00. Amazon might also have some good choices.

In case you're interested: (This is just one choice of many. I only provided the link as an example.)

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Temperature-Infrared-Thermometer-Laser/dp/B002YE3FS4
That wont really tell you CPU temperature though which by spec is rated at 100c at the TJunction. Fortunately you can get free software that will read the temp from the CPU and other sensors in the unit.

Search or download http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html