What's new

Solved Recovery drive query

leshay

Hi

I have ordered SanDisk SDCZ80-064G-G46 Extreme USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 245 MB/s read - 64 GB to use for creating a Recovery Drive. I seem to remember reading somewhere (though I can't find it now), that it is recommended not to use the same drive for other files.

How strict/important is that? Do other users use the same drive for other uses/saving files etc?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi

I have ordered SanDisk SDCZ80-064G-G46 Extreme USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 245 MB/s read - 64 GB to use for creating a Recovery Drive. I seem to remember reading somewhere (though I can't find it now), that it is recommended not to use the same drive for other files.

How strict/important is that? Do other users use the same drive for other uses/saving files etc?
That might depend on the order of operations. I have heard of people putting files on the recovery drive... although I question the sanity of it. However, if you use the Windows wizard to create the recovery drive it will format it first so any existing files will be gone.

OP
L

leshay

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Why do you question the sanity of those that do add other files to the drive? I would like to be able to use the remainder of a 64GB drive rather than just leave it with a few GB of backup and nothing else. I am asking here to find if it is safe to do so (I know of the general need to keep a recovery 'safe' etc.) I also know that the drive loses any existing files when formated as a recovery drive, but one formated as such, does future backups also perform the same preparation? If necessary, I will get yet another microSD card - say a 16GB - which I would use only for recovery drive.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Using the Recovery Drive as a Data drive you run the risk of damaging it either physically, electrically, or logically or losing it. Id recommend the smaller dedicated drive and keeping it pure in a safe place.

OP
L

leshay

Using the Recovery Drive as a Data drive you run the risk of damaging it either physically, electrically, or logically or losing it. Id recommend the smaller dedicated drive and keeping it pure in a safe place.

Hi

What about this: I have resurected an old USB HD, and created a recovery drive using it. All went well, and as far as I can see, the operation finished without any issues. I now want to add one folder into which I will put a few items I also want to back up. After this, I will keep the drive safe and untouched. Will that work?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
One thing to consider, at least when using the Microsoft Recovery Tool, is the drive is signed to show that it is safe and trusted, copying any additional files changes the Hash that is used to show it is trusted and will most likely render the drive unusable for its attended recovery role...

OP
L

leshay

One thing to consider, at least when using the Microsoft Recovery Tool, is the drive is signed to show that it is safe and trusted, copying any additional files changes the Hash that is used to show it is trusted and will most likely render the drive unusable for its attended recovery role...

Ah, now that is something worthy of consideration. I will redo the Recovery drive and do without adding further files. That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks.

malberttoo

Ah, now that is something worthy of consideration. I will redo the Recovery drive and do without adding further files. That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks.

I kind of agree with what GreyFox said as well... if it's intended to be your recovery drive, then I would not want to see it used for any other purpose. Just using the drive puts wear and tear on in, and brings you that much closer to the drive's failure. Granted, the drive may last a LONG time and you'll never see that failure, but you ARE marching toward it. So if I intend for that drive to be the thing that gets me back to Zero if I'm hosed, then yeah I'm not using that drive for anything else.

OP
L

leshay

I kind of agree with what GreyFox said as well... if it's intended to be your recovery drive, then I would not want to see it used for any other purpose. Just using the drive puts wear and tear on in, and brings you that much closer to the drive's failure. Granted, the drive may last a LONG time and you'll never see that failure, but you ARE marching toward it. So if I intend for that drive to be the thing that gets me back to Zero if I'm hosed, then yeah I'm not using that drive for anything else.

I did fully realise the point being made about ensuring the safekeeping of the drive, but opinions given, though respected, are just opinions (exception being the point made about differing checksums/hashes etc). I know I read somewhere thet 'it is recommended' not to put other files on it, but again, that isn't exactly definitive. Anyway thanks for the replies.