What's new

Solved Reinstall

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You need to blow away all of the Linux Partitions and GRUB prior to enabling Secure Boot again, then you should be able to enable Secure Boot and reinstall Windows.
Diskpart Clean should do that no? Or would some Linux stuff survive that?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Diskpart can't see EXT2/3 or RiserFS Disk partitions IIRC
Might have to try this out on something just to see ... Clean being a disk level operation I don't know if you need to see or understand it to clean it ... if you wax the table area, whatever is there is there no more ... at least logically .... If there's nothing that says the boot partition starts at X it shouldn't matter if the bits at X are zeros, ones, alternating zeros and ones, a nondescript data field, or a Linux partition 'data pattern' we don't understand. of course reality has a way of defying logic if we look before writing a "blank" disk.

OP
C

Curtis Vaughan

Well, I wiped the partition and left it unformatted and later as NTFS. In both cases I get the same results.

BTW, when the system still had Linux on it, I was able to get further in the install process for both the Windows 10 and 8 Surface Recovery. Now, it stops from the very beginning. I have recreated the USB's over and over, but same results.

Just tried FAT32 on the HD. Same thing.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, I wiped the partition and left it unformatted and later as NTFS. In both cases I get the same results.

BTW, when the system still had Linux on it, I was able to get further in the install process for both the Windows 10 and 8 Surface Recovery. Now, it stops from the very beginning. I have recreated the USB's over and over, but same results.

Just tried FAT32 on the HD. Same thing.
Ok did you wipe all partitions or just the OS partition? Diskpart Clean (see instructions above in post #8 ) would remove all partitions. I'm thinking the boot partition which is separate from then OS partition is causing trouble OR those Keys Jeff mentioned are the problem but IDK anything about those.

Maybe the Samsung Magician disk utility would help ... doing a secure erase. I seem to recall some people using this utility on their Surface. Otherwise perhaps a Linux based utility to do that.

OP
C

Curtis Vaughan

Just to be sure about the drive inside the surface I used a Linux utility - shred on it. Took a long time, but that drive should now be completely wiped. Regardless, I get the same results when I try using the recovery USB.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well if it appears to be unpartitioned it might have something to do with those keys. I'm a bit at a loss about the keys I didn't know you could do that or what you would do to recover if it rejects the Recovery Image. Although I'd still think a clean install should work using the USB from the Media Creation Tool. Normal PCs don't have these keys and perhaps the Recovery Image expects the keys to verify it's a Surface device (I'm just guessing on the purpose and cause).

where did this Surface come from? do you have other Surfaces? Perhaps image another one with Macrium Reflect and restore to this one with that.

OP
C

Curtis Vaughan

Hm... My daughter has a Surface Pro 2. I might try imaging it. Worth a try!

I have not tried the Media Creation Tool yet. Going there now.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hm... My daughter has a Surface Pro 2. I might try imaging it. Worth a try!

I have not tried the Media Creation Tool yet. Going there now.
Not sure where you are with this but obviously you were still able to boot Linux USBs, **it would seem it should at least boot a Windows USB with Secure Boot Disabled regardless of the state of the Keys**.

I'm curious if you were booting the Linux USB with Secure boot enabled or disabled. If it boots with it enabled I believe we have a key issue.

I don't know if you ever tried Diskpart Clean but if the disk is really clean from using shred (assuming it was done on the entire disk and not a partition) then it would seem another indication the state of Secure Boot and the Keys is where the trouble is.

I saw a utility that would list the keys installed in db (software signed with these keys allowed) and dbx (software not allowed) and at some point that may be useful although after some reading about Secure Boot and the Keys I'll say we should probably hope that isn't necessary. I'm a bit worried, possibly paranoid, that the wrong key got into dbx. At this point I don't know how you manage these keys although I'm reading some documents that describe it and using your own keys (likely best avoided in most cases).

Could you provide any further background on the Linux install, Grub configuration, or anything that might have been done regarding Secure Boot and keys. i.e. how we got here.

Have you used Ubuntu's Boot Repair ... probably shouldn't see this page
Managing EFI Boot Loaders for Linux: Repairing Boot Repair
(However, if we have fully nuked the drive none of this should exist anymore.) This is the 3rd in a series of articles that may contain clues to solving this but AFAIK it's not clearly the answer.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Id definitely clear the TPM as well. so...
No partitions or hidden partitions on the disk,
TPM cleared,
Secure boot off,
Boot to USB created and verified by Media Creation Tool, create 64bit only USB (since you'll have to use another computer to create it, check the box for other computer),
Do a clean install which should be the default/only option with this setup.

OP
C

Curtis Vaughan

OK. The Media Creation Tool (whatever it's called) worked! But man it sat at 50% for hours!! I just left it over night and this morning it worked. So thanks everyone for the help!