What's new

remap keyboard-brightness buttons to volume?

mtalinm

the first generation Surface keyboard had buttons dedicated to raising/lowering the volume of audio, as does most every other keyboard I've ever seen.

since the introduction of the backlit Type Cover 2, however, these are gone. now there are keyboard brightness raise/lower buttons, which I don't think I have ever used.

is there any way to remap these buttons to volume control?

malberttoo

the first generation Surface keyboard had buttons dedicated to raising/lowering the volume of audio, as does most every other keyboard I've ever seen.

since the introduction of the backlit Type Cover 2, however, these are gone. now there are keyboard brightness raise/lower buttons, which I don't think I have ever used.

is there any way to remap these buttons to volume control?

Check out AutoHotkey. I don't know if it will let you use those exact buttons, but it will let you map something.

nipponham

You can use AutoHotkey to control volume using F1 and F2 (backlight dim/bright) but it won't be a one-button control as you'll still need to use the Fn key which cannot be used as a hotkey. You can use other hotkeys if you want one-button control. F3 and above should be usable on their own as well.

Neko

By using the added reg-key, i mapped the volume to [F1] & [F2].
[FN] & [F1] in original or once press [FN]+[CAPS-LOCK] to always only use the [Fx] keys. As this does not need a program in the background, I prefere this way. After applying, the surface needs a restart and then it works.

Just rename the *.txt to *.reg and double klick it...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,2e,e0,3b,00,30,e0,3c,00,\

Attachments

• volume-f1andf2.txt
    418 bytes · Views: 720

Neko

The way I did is using keyboard scan codes; I do not know/did not find a scan code for track forward-backward and so I can not map these to the F-keys.:(

Code72

By using the added reg-key, i mapped the volume to [F1] & [F2].
[FN] & [F1] in original or once press [FN]+[CAPS-LOCK] to always only use the [Fx] keys. As this does not need a program in the background, I prefere this way. After applying, the surface needs a restart and then it works.

Just rename the *.txt to *.reg and double klick it...

"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,2e,e0,3b,00,30,e0,3c,00,\

Thanks, if needed how can i revert back to stock buttons map?

Neko

Just delete the regestry-key <
> and after reboot it is back to the original.

Hawk2543

Nice solution - thinking outside the box. Do you have any other neat registry hacks like this?

00,00,00,00[/QUOTE]