What's new

Remote Desktop for work use

We install VNC server (any version) on our client computers. mRemoteNG is basically a multifunctional viewer. So if you want to RemoteDesktop to a server or take over a client with VNC or use the https URL to your firewall interface, you don't need 3 different programs to do 3 different things, you just use 1 program for all. And since you can save the connections and order them any way you like it is very easy to setup a tree with connections in your mRemoteNG side panel.
(BTW: i'm not working for them nor do i get paid by them *unfortunatelly*) ;)
You can see a screenshot and more explanation at www.mremoteng.org

Cheers,
Olav

Thanks for your reply! All that I will be doing is using remote to use Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver from my home computer to the Surface Pro 3 that I will be using at work. Would I need to use all of that, or would it be easier just to use Remote Desktop?

Grooves

Thanks for your reply! All that I will be doing is using remote to use Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver from my home computer to the Surface Pro 3 that I will be using at work. Would I need to use all of that, or would it be easier just to use Remote Desktop?

If you want to access your home computer from your SP3 at work, then you don't need that option.
I assume you are going to use a VPN to your home instead of opening the RDP port to the world?!
I doubt that using any remote program like RDP or VNC etc would be sufficient to work smoothly with graphics programs like Photoshop and Illustrator.
I am an amateur photographer and choose the Creative Cloud option, i am allowed to run Photoshop and Lightroom on both my SP3 and MacBook, so I always have a running version with me.

If you want to access your home computer from your SP3 at work, then you don't need that option.
I assume you are going to use a VPN to your home instead of opening the RDP port to the world?!
I doubt that using any remote program like RDP or VNC etc would be sufficient to work smoothly with graphics programs like Photoshop and Illustrator.
I am an amateur photographer and choose the Creative Cloud option, i am allowed to run Photoshop and Lightroom on both my SP3 and MacBook, so I always have a running version with me.

Thanks, again.

Yeah, I think that I can just run all of those programs locally. I just have a bunch of stuff on my home computer that I would have to transfer. However, it probably will not give me too much of a headache. I probably will just wind up putting everything on the SP3 and using that for work.

ynohtna

Any advice or tutorials that you can think of? I read about port forwarding being vulnerable to security attacks. How much truth is in that?

Ya I guess I would be wide open for security attacks. I dunno. I do use different rdp ports for each computer I want to connect to from outside but the default one is open too.

This risk is up to you. I've had open ports for rdp for at least 10 years. Doesn't mean I'm not vulnerable or it's completely safe. I want a VPN, just been too busy/lazy/well really am pretty busy :) to set one up.

Port forward is fast to set up, RDP gives a very natural user experience. Example, my RT connected to my sp3, all the swipes/gestures work as if I'm in front of my sp3.

Now if you're unfamiliar with port forwarding, don't bother. Use teamviewer. I like it a lot too and has a windows phone app. Can control PC pretty good too with my phone.

Grooves

Thanks, again.

Yeah, I think that I can just run all of those programs locally. I just have a bunch of stuff on my home computer that I would have to transfer. However, it probably will not give me too much of a headache. I probably will just wind up putting everything on the SP3 and using that for work.

Sounds like the best plan, and you get to work in PS with the SP3 pen ;)