What's new

Remote Desktop

bluegrass

I'm really new to doing remote desktop but I found in order to remote into my domain desktop at work I need to use by VPN account on my Surface to connect to the domain and then bring up remote desktop in order to connect to my work computer. I also had to add my Surface to the my work domain in order to even get remote desktop to work with my work computer.

mohcho

Yes and no, depending on what tool you are using.

Teamviewer is not network specific, but VNC is. Windows Remote Desktop can be both, depending on how your IT department or network is configured.

Can you provide more specific details on how you are connecting to this desktop/projector computer?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Personally and Professionally, I would put a Miracast Adapter on the Projector and use my SP3 to attached to the Projector Wirelessly and use Remote Desktop to the Work Machine (Hopefully it is running Windows 8 Professional or higher as touch would work natively).

FlySwatter

A cheat around the network issue (if needed) is to use Bluetooth. Of course, you may have to install a bluetooth adapter in the desktop PC you're using for the projector (unless it's a laptop already equipped with BT). BT adapters are almost literally a dime a dozen. Pairing the desktop with the SP3 may take a little patience, but you can definitely do it. I don't know how well the various remote desktop solutions mentioned above will interact via BT, but as I mentioned earlier, I have used it with the MS Remote Desktop Connection tool without issue.

Just one more suggestion.

FlySwatter

Personally and Professionally, I would put a Miracast Adapter on the Projector and use my SP3 to attached to the Projector Wirelessly and use Remote Desktop to the Work Machine (Hopefully it is running Windows 8 Professional or higher as touch would work natively).
Excellent suggestion. Don't they all connect via HDMI, or are there VGA adapters for that? All of our projectors are VGA only.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Miracast is an implementation of Wireless HDMI, but you could attempt a HDMI to VGA Adapter (I haven't tried to verify that it would work). If that doesn't work I would go with a Splashtop or TeamViewer Solution as VNC still has some security issues....

bluegrass

Thanks for this thread and posts. I just downloaded and installed Teamviewer and like it so far. At first I didn't know that you could setup your remote computer for unattended access but I found out how to do it. I have both my remote and my Surface on my desk at work but when I get home, I'll give it a shot.