What's new

Replacement onscreen keyboard

PilotGav

Are there any replacement onscreen keyboards which provide "Swype" style typing and predictive text?

I find the standard keyboard to be archaic.

Thanks!

UltraDroid

There are indeed - several of them. But I'm not a user of swype type keyboards so I can't advise you on a choice. Be patient and one of our more knowledgeable members will pop in with more information.

OP
PilotGav

PilotGav

UltraDroid can you please mention a few you know of? I can't find any other than the one below your post.

I really appreciate it!

bluegrass

It' a brand new technology, so I wouldn't expect it to happen on Surfaces virtual keyboard for awhile. Type & slide obviously wouldn't work on keyboards that require key depressions. This new technology just got released on Windows 8.1 phones. I expect that type and slide might get built into Windows 9 & made to work with the virtual keyboard on the Surfaces when it gets released next year.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I would not be surprised if the Swipe Keyboard in Windows Phone 8.1 found its way into Windows Threshold (next version of Windows).

Tsurugaya

It' a brand new technology, so I wouldn't expect it to happen on Surfaces virtual keyboard for awhile. Type & slide obviously wouldn't work on keyboards that require key depressions. This new technology just got released on Windows 8.1 phones. I expect that type and slide might get built into Windows 9 & made to work with the virtual keyboard on the Surfaces when it gets released next year.
Works fine on the Swype keyboard for Android, my default keyboard on those devices.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love swype and have been using it since about 2010 on android phones I was pleased to see it on Windows phone however I find it less useful on larger devices sure to the distance you need to swype. Wouldn't the SP3 be a bit big to be efficient?

OP
PilotGav

PilotGav

I don't see why, Tsurugaya. Either way you're moving your finger/pen to each letter. I never touch type onscreen so for me it makes sense.

Word completion is what I'm especially missing though.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see why, Tsurugaya. Either way you're moving your finger/pen to each letter. I never touch type onscreen so for me it makes sense.

Word completion is what I'm especially missing though.
I think you are probably replying to me here. Makes sense if you don't touch type. I tend to type with both hands on a bigger keyboard so swiping would be slower for me. I'm swiping this on SwiftKey on my android phone though.

Jejagua

I would really love to have a mini pop-up keyboard. By mini, I mean 3 or so inches wide ...with semi transparency...and that pops up next to the input field. This would be particularly useful in pen mode. I find the current keyboards very clumsy.