What's new

Replacement SP3 doesn't recognize dock

null4end

I had to have my SP3 replaced due to a hardware with the SSD or controller. The replacement SP3 doesn't seem to fully recognize the Microsoft Docking Station. It shows video through the DisplayPort on the dock just fine, but neither USB or Ethernet are recognized.

I've tried looking for updates repeatedly since I remember that there was an update related to the Dock when it first came out. MS has either pulled it or I've installed it and can't track it down under history.

Bottom line, does anyone have any suggestions about how to deal with the unrecognized dock.

Thanks,
Dan E.

kundas1

I don't have a dock so I don't know anything about it, but did you have to install any drivers for the dock? maybe you need to re-install drivers or try to do a manual update VIA hardware properties? I'm sure some one more knowledgeable will come along and help you.

CS2090

Yes I have the same issue. Display port is good but Ethernet, USB and sound don't work. It was working but no longer.
Have posted another thread on this issue.

Ryan7999

I have this issue on and off. Have you tried connecting without the type cover?

With it connected I find I have to use a little force to push the surface down into the dock while 'docking'

CS2090

I have tried with and without the type cover (normally I don't use the type cover at all). Not sure of how you would push it down because the connector on the side when you push it closed would only connect or not. Also on the SP3 dock there is nothing connecting on the bottom that I can see (only on the side power connector which seems to have a lot of connections)

Ryan7999

I always use the type cover and have found that if I just push it down a little bit firm when connecting the dock I get a proper connection.

CS2090

I don't understand. There are no connections between the dock and the bottom of the surface pro 3 that I can see at all. So what is pushing it down supposed to do? Pushing it down would only seat it into the type cover further (if that was possible). The connectors are on the side and that appears to be a snug fit. The display port works fine and the device is getting power from the dock.

If the connector is at fault that is going to be a big issue for MS moving forward. My feeling is that it is a software issue but with all these modern customised connectors who knows you might well be right that perhaps there is not a full connection being made. I have wiggled it around a bit but it does all seem quite firmly in position.

I will report a fault to MS and see if they have any ideas. If not I will get it swapped for a replacement and see if there is any better luck.

To be clear though this was working well for 3 or 4 days.