What's new

Replacement Surface 3

Zibi

Hi

Because I am powerless in the fight with Microsoft. Advise me please and help.

1. I called to Surface Answer Desk, and I asked ( only ask) about high temperature processor 85 – 90 C. Touching the back tablet, almost burns my fingers.

2. It happens when I play Chess, Cleanings Disk or when I use FreemakeVC etc.

3. Then, I turn off Surface 3, because I fear that it will catch fire. I do not know if I can use Surface 3 when temperature processor is 90 C ???.

4. Very quickly, Answer Desk proposed - replacement. So I agreed , but I was not aware, that he sent my tablet to Germany to repair, not to the replacement. Just cheated me.

5. When I received the same tablet, I was extremely angry. I did not notice anyone had touched my tablet.

6. I wrote email to Answer Desk, they answer – buy a cooling pads !!!.

7. For me replacement mean replacement, not repair. Now they do not admit to fraud and joking with me.

What Can I do now in the situation ?

Regards Zibi

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
First, find out what "replacement" means under your terms and conditions. Your opinion on what replacement should entail is meaningless. It is almost ALWAYS a case of repair, if not, then replace. That is how near all tech companies operate.

Secondly, your fear that it may catch fire is also irrelevant, or do you have numerous anecdotal examples of this occurring? I've never heard of a single instance of this.

Thirdly, those temps are still within accepted operating temps.

In short, i don't see anything in your post that indicates you have a broken SP3. They were good enough to take it away, then they most likely used it in their repair centre, found it working within spec, and returned it. Why would they replace something that is running within the specification?

Your machine gets hot. All surfaces do. It is normal. If you are that against it being hot, then return it and buy something else.

(b) If Microsoft or the retailer or
reseller determines the Microsoft Hardware or Accessory
malfunctioned due to a defect in materials or workmanship during the Warranty Period under Normal Use Conditions, Microsoft or the retailer or reseller will (at its option) repair or replace it, or refund the purchase price to You, unless a mandatory provision of any local law applicable to You provides otherwise. Repair may use new or refurbished parts. Replacement may be with a new or refurbished unit.

So there is no instance of fraud. Read your warranty first next time. and secondly, your fear of fire is not grounds for repair or replacement. Your CPU is running within the 100 degree spec set out by intel so there is no malfunction. Why should they replace it for no reason. Granted MS have been bending over backwards to help people on this release, but it doesn't mean they are wrong not to give you a new device. they took it back because of your temp fear, they tested it, and found it do be perfectly fine.

Last edited:
OP
Z

Zibi

Your answer is not only substantive, but also naughty. You do not read carefully.
If only worker answer desk, would say - temperature 90 C is ok. It would be enough for me . It was my basic question !.
Microsoft proposed replacement, not me. If every thing is ok, and was ok, why he sent tablet to Germany ?.
I lost time and health. 7 days with out tablet .

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well how did you phrase your question? There must have been a reason for him to suggest returning it, because yes, 90C is perfectly normal operating temperature.

My post though was to point out that you have not been cheated or defrauded as per your suggestion.

And how is a cooling pad joking with you? You were clearly unhappy with the typical operating temps of the sufrace, there is nothing they can do about it, so a cooling pad is a perfectly valid consideration if it would help appease your worries.

buers

• It happens when I play Chess, Cleanings Disk or when I use FreemakeVC etc.

IMO, the surface 3 pro is not very suitable for classical chess progams. These programs are typically designed, to use really all CPU cycles available to find the best move (in general, the more they use of the CPU, the stronger they will play. There is also a strong competition between the chess programs, so programmers try very hard, to make their chess engines as strong as possible). Chess engines will often use as many threads, as there are logical processors available. So you really have 100% CPU time all the time, even when it is your turn to move (the chess engine will have guessed/anticipated your move and start thinking for its next move immediatly. This is often called pondering, and you might be able to switch it off).

This is normally a least true, when letting the chess engine analyze games or when playing at (default) maximum strength. If you are not really grandmaster strength yourself, you might have fun with the chess program set up for lower strength. However, depending on the program, it might not help too much, because the chess engine might burn CPU cycles while trying to find the best "human like, with flaws, but not too obviously flawed, move".

I guess, with FreemakeVC things are similar: tuned to do a job as fast as possible - which typically means using all of the CPU.

OP
Z

Zibi

Thank you very much for such a detailed explanation, particularly Mr "buers".
I understand that I need off AIDA 64, and stop control temp processor.
I will do it. Thank you again.