Resetting Surface UEFI BIOS Password

Discussion in 'Surface 3 (Atom)' started by SomeoneOnLine, Jan 24, 2016.

1. SomeoneOnLine

SomeoneOnLine New Member

My Device:
    Surface 3 (Atom)
    Soooooooo, It appears that I forgot the password that I set in the uefi bios after i set the boot order to ssd only. I can get into windows just fine but unable to boot to usb. So I am on the phone with microsoft answer tech as i type this and the answer tech i am talking to says that by doing a full windows refresh (clean the drive) it will reset/clear the uefi bios password. Does that sound right? I always thought that motherboards uefi bios are stored on the mobo on a small icu/chip? Eitherway on the bright side i did make a coomplete ssd disk image using acronis a few weeks ago. So maybe i can just restore one of the other partitions besides the windows partition and i dont have to reset my device and redo all my stuff again.

~SOL

2. leeshor

leeshor Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    You're correct, normally a BIOS/UEFI password is stored in CMOS on the motherboard. If that's the case you are SOL;)

But on the other hand the Surface may work differently.

3. SomeoneOnLine

SomeoneOnLine New Member

My Device:
    Surface 3 (Atom)
    i should have known better than to make up a new password i would forget. :( Thats my own fault. Since the surface works great otherwise im not in a hurry to redo everything since i finally have it dialed in the way i want it. other than the damn bios boot order being set to ssd only.

4. SomeoneOnLine

SomeoneOnLine New Member

My Device:
    Surface 3 (Atom)
    I can definitely say that as expected doing a full reset/refresh does NOT reset or clear the bios password. However it did reset the TPM. I still have the receipt for the surface and it's still in warranty with ms. Maybe I will call them and say it took a dump and won't boot (corrupt bcd/mbr record) Thus them hopefully replacing the whole thing. :(

5. SomeoneOnLine

SomeoneOnLine New Member

My Device:
    Surface 3 (Atom)
    Interestingly enough when doing a refresh I was given the option to download the recovery image right from microsoft from inside the refresh process. I guess that's good enough as far as recovery goes as long as bcd doesn't die or get corrupted.