What's new

Resolution Issue - Screen goes black when clicking a link

Robbo

Hi all,

Recently got my Surface 3 and love it. I only have one issue. When I receive an email and click on the link, the screen goes black like its trying to automatically adjust the resolution.

I work for a Cloud telephony company and when I demo our click to dial from a web browser it does it then too. It does it in Google Chrome, when I have an external monitor attached and when I don't have an external monitor attached.

It's driving me insane and the help from Microsoft isn't great.

Someone please help.

Cheers,
Rob

nipponham

What email program are you using?
What browser is set to open your links?
What kind of links does this occur with? (Ex: media, contacts, executables, etc.)
What happens after the screen turns black?

OP
R

Robbo

What email program are you using? Outlook 2013
What browser is set to open your links? Google chrome
What kind of links does this occur with? (Ex: media, contacts, executables, etc.) webpage links, I received this link in the email, clicked it, both screens go black like the resolution is trying to adjust, then Chrome opens.
What happens after the screen turns black? The screen sort of flickers like it is trying to adjust then opens the page in the current resolution settings I have set

nipponham

So the links open but it just takes some time? Sounds like it might be some kind of incompatibility with a Chrome extension. Set the links to open with another browser like IE to rule out other issues.

OP
R

Robbo

I think its the vga adapter I have, it's not a Microsoft one and when I unplugged it, it works fine. Stupid though as the MS one is expensive

OP
R

Robbo

So there's me thinking it was the cable so unplugged it. Now just using the Surface screen and when opening an Excel doc, the resolution changes and zooms in drastically. This is so annoying now and don't know a way round it. Help please!

OP
R

Robbo

Can anyone help please as Microsoft are telling me to completely refresh the Surface but I have loads of work apps installed I can't refresh it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Can anyone help please as Microsoft are telling me to completely refresh the Surface but I have loads of work apps installed I can't refresh it.
You can try uninstalling and deleting the HD 4400 Video Drivers, reboot and see if that repairs the artifacting.....