What's new

Restore Surface Pro2

jolnse

Hi i have tried to upgrade my surface pro 2 to windows 10, but it did not work out well. Now i have windows 10 on the device, but it is not activated. According to MS support i need to restore to origin 8.1 on the device and apply for upgrade again. But i have tried to download the zipfile SurfacePro_60.3.5.0.ZIP from Surface support but the download stops after 2 - 25 %. I have tried from several different networks and from several different computers. Is there someone who can help me with the file?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
First, unless you removed it or it became damaged, the original Recovery Partition should be present and operational. From Windows 10 Recovery you can choose Restore Factory Settings, that should do it.

Secondly if it's not been more than 30 days you can Rollback to the previous OS. This is also an option under Windows 10 Recovery.

You can only download images for Surfaces you have registered by serial number so I cannot get an SP2 image myself. If you have a case with MS support they should be able to post the image on a Support Download page if there's a problem with the original source.

Last edited:
OP
J

jolnse

The serialno is registred and i click on it to get the correct file for exact this device. Unfortunually the Recover area is exchanged in the upgrade process to win 10 to a Win 10 on surface devices, therefore it seems not possible to roll back. Unfortunually there is no backup on the device to use. but no important information on the device as well.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The serialno is registred and i click on it to get the correct file for exact this device. Unfortunually the Recover area is exchanged in the upgrade process to win 10 to a Win 10 on surface devices, therefore it seems not possible to roll back. Unfortunually there is no backup on the device to use. but no important information on the device as well.
Did you install the W10 preview on it?
I have an SP3 I put W10 on and the original recovery partition is unchanged. I Made Images with Macrium Reflect and tested every recovery option as mentioned above.
Regardless... get back to MS on the download difficulty they should have options available...

Also try downloading via a VPN service like ProXPN, PIA etc. Your ISP maybe suboptimizing your download experience. :)
How to Choose the Best VPN Service for Your Needs
The Best VPN Services for 2015 | PCMag.com

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
One other scenario I seem to recall is some people have had to delete their W10 partitions to allow Recovery with W8/8.1 over W10. i.e. Recovery as if total disk failure, starting from clean disk. A number of people reported this during the Tech Preview... I assumed that was fixed but maybe not.

OP
J

jolnse

Thank's for your help, I managed by entering a product key of my action pack license, so i have not used the free upgrade, now it work's fine.