What's new

Poll Returned SP3: received new or refurb unit?

If you have replaced a SP3 via warranty process, did you receive a new or refurb unit?

• Total voters

jonypx09

Question: do you always get a new product if you exchange your product in a MS store ?

My first replacement was an in-store exchange and it was a refurbished unit. My second replacement was a new unit, which was wrapped in clear plastic, similar to the retail packaging.

Edit: Exactly what @RémiM said in the post above

RémiM

I'm pretty sure I have seen people post here that they got a refurb at a store.

Edit: ^ speaking of which...

In my case: I am pretty sure I got a new one -- wrapped like a new one and given as "a new one" by the woman. And if I got a refurbished, well, I don't care. I used my SP3 during 4 months, so getting a refurbished seems a fair deal to me.

jonypx09

In my case: I am pretty sure I got a new one -- wrapped like a new one and given as "a new one" by the woman. And if I got a refurbished, well, I don't care. I used my SP3 during 4 months, so getting a refurbished seems a fair deal to me.

Same here, as long as it works, I don't care if it's a refurb or a brand new unit.

grumpy

When I received the third unit, it was wrapped in the same plastic as the retail packaging, so I think it's a new unit.
Do you mean that "cellophane-like" sleeve? Don't be fooled, I had one refurb come with that and I initially thought that I may have gotten a new unit - until I actually removed it and it was scratched to hell. If it has minor damage it is likely due to the previous user.

Interesting @VickiFL .

Does the brown box automatically means refurbished ?
Yes. If it is not in retail packaging, it is refurbished.

I am not against sending out refurbished units as warranty replacements (within the first month the replacement should be factory new) IF they are actually refurbished to the claimed "like new" condition. Far too many refurbs are in less than new condition. If your refurb is in good cosmetic condition, then it is likely that the previous owner took good care of the unit (rather than MS's efforts). The first refurb I received (and currently using) was in good cosmetic condition. The refurbs that followed were sorry sights and I finally gave up and I am reluctantly living with my battery issue (also, all the other units exhibited the same battery issue).

To make matters worse, the automated exchange process only allows you to specify one defect. My original unit had multiple issues. Of course, I shoehorned my other non-battery related issues into the "battery problems" form. But, units cannot be checked for problems of which they are unaware...

jonypx09

Do you mean that "cellophane-like" sleeve? Don't be fooled, I had one refurb come with that and I initially thought that I may have gotten a new unit - until I actually removed it and it was scratched to hell. If it has minor damage it is likely due to the previous user.

I am not against sending out refurbished units as warranty replacements (within the first month the replacement should be factory new) IF they are actually refurbished to the claimed "like new" condition. Far too many refurbs are in less than new condition. If your refurb is in good cosmetic condition, then it is likely that the previous owner took good care of the unit (rather than MS's efforts). The first refurb I received (and currently using) was in good cosmetic condition. The refurbs that followed were sorry sights and I finally gave up and I am reluctantly living with my battery issue (also, all the other units exhibited the same battery issue).

To make matters worse, the automated exchange process only allows you to specify one defect. My original unit had multiple issues. Of course, I shoehorned my other non-battery related issues into the "battery problems" form. But, units cannot be checked for problems of which they are unaware...

Yeah, I think you're right, but the cosmetic damage I have on my current unit is very minor; I can hardly notice it until I actually find it with my own two eyes...

VickiFL

Interesting @VickiFL .

Does the brown box automatically means refurbished ?

@RémiM

@grumpy is correct. Each time I had to have my SP3 replaced at the Microsoft Store, it came in the retail packaging, not a plain brown box. As I have never had a brown box, I wouldn't know if refurb's come that way.

Last edited:

jonypx09

@RémiM

@grumpy is correct. Each time I had to have my SP3 replaced at the Microsoft Store, it came in the retail packaging, not a plain brown box. As I have never had a brown box, I wouldn't know if refurb's come that way.

If it came in the retail packaging, it'll come with the charger and pen. I spoke to a representative via chat and she said all replacements come in the brown box, whether it is new or refurbished.

RémiM

If it came in the retail packaging, it'll come with the charger and pen. I spoke to a representative via chat and she said all replacements come in the brown box, whether it is new or refurbished.

I am curious to know what exactly Microsoft does to the returned units. Is there a team dedicated to fix the refurbished SP3 ? Do they change the defective parts ? Do they inspect everything ?

Or just a quick reset and a visual inspection ?

jonypx09

I am curious to know what exactly Microsoft does to the returned units. Is there a team dedicated to fix the refurbished SP3 ? Do they change the defective parts ? Do they inspect everything ?

Or just a quick reset and a visual inspection ?

I'm guessing they bring the units back to the factory for re-inspection. In regards to my situation, should I go to my nearest MS Store and get it replaced or use the Advanced Replacement Option?