What's new

Returning my I7 SP3...again.

OP
M

markusbeutel

This is going to sound ridiculous... but I'm going to return my SP3 (after returning it once, then taking it back because I couldn't live without it).

You've probably read my issues with my first SP3 - now, only a handful of days into my tenure with my 2nd SP3 (I7 256), and I'm getting significant light bleeding in 3 of the SP3's 4 corners. Also, my 2nd type cover's backlight no longer works. This 2nd SP3 also doesn't wake when touching the Windows button, same as my first SP3.

I paid $2g for this product. These issues, on top of those with my first unit, are unacceptable. And yet this is still going to be difficult to return... the form factor is just so good... But there have just been too many issues. I'll hold onto this one until the Lenovo Helix 2014 with Broadwell comes out, then make the switch. Its also got a pen, won't have a fan, and has an actual keyboard (and the pro version also acts as a battery).

October can't come fast enough. I think I will be tempted by the SP4 though, by then I can only hope these issues have been resolved - but as of now, the build quality is just not good enough for how much it costs :(

InspectHerGadget

This is going to sound ridiculous... but I'm going to return my SP3 (after returning it once, then taking it back because I couldn't live without it).

You've probably read my issues with my first SP3 - now, only a handful of days into my tenure with my 2nd SP3 (I7 256), and I'm getting significant light bleeding in 3 of the SP3's 4 corners. Also, my 2nd type cover's backlight no longer works. This 2nd SP3 also doesn't wake when touching the Windows button, same as my first SP3.

I paid $2g for this product. These issues, on top of those with my first unit, are unacceptable. And yet this is still going to be difficult to return... the form factor is just so good... But there have just been too many issues. I'll hold onto this one until the Lenovo Helix 2014 with Broadwell comes out, then make the switch. Its also got a pen, won't have a fan, and has an actual keyboard (and the pro version also acts as a battery).

October can't come fast enough. I think I will be tempted by the SP4 though, by then I can only hope these issues have been resolved - but as of now, the build quality is just not good enough for how much it costs :(

The problem is that the Surface is unique. The Helix may have a pen but the screen angle is fixed and isn't ideal for pen input unless you use it handheld as a tablet.

I'm in the same boat as you. I love the SP3 but a few faults making it hard to part with a large sum of money. In my case, not really faults just a few pen issues I didn't like but I think design issues rather than hardware faults (but who knows really without trying several for 14 days each).

OP
M

markusbeutel

The problem is that the Surface is unique. The Helix may have a pen but the screen angle is fixed and isn't ideal for pen input unless you use it handheld as a tablet.

I'm in the same boat as you. I love the SP3 but a few faults making it hard to part with a large sum of money. In my case, not really faults just a few pen issues I didn't like but I think design issues rather than hardware faults (but who knows really without trying several for 14 days each).

I'm talking about the Helix 2014 edition though - comes out sometime this October, and its going to have a 'pro' keyboard that has 180 degree rotation - only the cheap keyboard version is fixed in the one position.

This
- sold me, although I can't lie that part of me wants to give the SP3 1 more strike whereby I try out a 3rd and see if its free of defects.

InspectHerGadget

I'm talking about the Helix 2014 edition though - comes out sometime this October, and its going to have a 'pro' keyboard that has 180 degree rotation - only the cheap keyboard version is fixed in the one position.

This
- sold me, although I can't lie that part of me wants to give the SP3 1 more strike whereby I try out a 3rd and see if its free of defects.

I see what you mean. It is certainly a worthy competitor. I think if you ink though it is still ideal to have the keyboard there and a back support of the kickstand on the SP3. It is a unique design and the Helix is still different enough in the basic design to make your selection based on the design strengths you most favour. No doubt about it going to be a lot of competition out there with Broadwell M.

It makes me wonder if they'll drop a Broadwell in the 64G SP3. It is already a low voltage i3 Y series I think.

yonghong

So... I returned the I7 - got a gaming laptop, the Razor Blade, still pretty small form factor for a laptop - and games ran great, but...

I missed my I7. Despite all the issues, I decided to return the Blade, and get an exchange for a new I7. No issues so far - MS store let me check for the yellow line that appears on the left side of the screen as reported in this forum, in-store. Went through two that had a fine yellow line, third one was the charm. Perfect white display now and happy to have the pen back in my hand. Can't wait for the SP4 with the atom chip and for all these minor issues to disappear with the next launch, hopefully. :)
Sp4 atom chips, you must be kidding me, and you return so many things , cost them a lot of money