What's new

Router for SP3

ctitanic

After trying the latest stock firmware, stick with stock, much snappier and better speeds.

With custom firmware I got speeds of 192mbps, with stock firmware it gets 702mbps.
Wow, that's good news! I could not wait and bought one at eBay for $125. I should get it next week. I also bought 3 9db antennas to increase the signal quality and range.

DanL

After trying the latest stock firmware, stick with stock, much snappier and better speeds.

With custom firmware I got speeds of 192mbps, with stock firmware it gets 702mbps.

For everyone here using the Netgear R7000, Netgear released a new firmware today with several bug fixes I've been waiting for. Here is a list I copied from the Netgear forum.:

[Enhancement] Supports genie 5G WIFI configuration.
[Bug Fix] Fixes Comcast IPv6 connection issues.
[Bug Fix] Fixes bug in which PPPoE IPv6 failed to obtain WAN IP address issue.
[Bug Fix] Fixes bug in which IPv6 might disconnect after 2-3 days of use.
[Bug Fix] Fixes bug in which traffic meter incorrectly counts the LAN to WLAN traffic.
[Bug Fix] Fixes IPTV freeze problem in some countries.
[Bug Fix] Fixes bug in which web GUI crashes when GUI language is switched to French.
[Bug Fix] Fixes bug in which WPS login might disconnect from previous wireless clients.

I'm hoping this finally solves the IPv6 issues.

ipaq_101

Wow, that's good news! I could not wait and bought one at eBay for $125. I should get it next week. I also bought 3 9db antennas to increase the signal quality and range.
For everyone here using the Netgear R7000, Netgear released a new firmware today with several bug fixes I've been waiting for. Here is a list I copied from the Netgear forum.:

[Enhancement] Supports genie 5G WIFI configuration.
[Bug Fix] Fixes Comcast IPv6 connection issues.
[Bug Fix] Fixes bug in which PPPoE IPv6 failed to obtain WAN IP address issue.
[Bug Fix] Fixes bug in which IPv6 might disconnect after 2-3 days of use.
[Bug Fix] Fixes bug in which traffic meter incorrectly counts the LAN to WLAN traffic.
[Bug Fix] Fixes IPTV freeze problem in some countries.
[Bug Fix] Fixes bug in which web GUI crashes when GUI language is switched to French.
[Bug Fix] Fixes bug in which WPS login might disconnect from previous wireless clients.

I'm hoping this finally solves the IPv6 issues.

Thanks for pointing it out, updated to the latest.

After the latest update I am getting 866.5 mbps, highest yet!

Last edited:

DanL

Thanks for pointing it out, updated to the latest.

After the latest update I am getting 866.5 mbps, highest yet!

Good to hear the new firmware is working better. I have Comcast and the IPv6 issue was one of the reasons I was holding off. They released a fix for IPv6 about 6 weeks ago but pulled it a few days later.

TGT

I have the Netgear R8000 and am very happy with it. The speed shows 866.5 Mbps. I have not tried the latest firmware, since I am not having any problems. My firmware version is V1.0.0.74_1.0.31

bluegrass

I guess I'm really behind the times. I read a lot of discussions here on this forum about wifi speeds and now a new term thrown out called "limited". I'm not sure where you see whether you are experiencing limited or not. I went to the following website to get some info on connectivity speeds - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2425225,00.asp
It discusses how to measure wireless performance & the difference in bandwidth & throughput. I'm sure this thread is about throughput (connection speed between the Surface and your router).

I assume that you all are looking at a window titled wifi status to see your speed. I see my throughput speed, which is moving up and down on my wifi connection here at work. I never see any term in the status window called "limited" so I wonder if someone could tell me where they see whether there throughput is getting limited. I'm pretty sure we use 54 mb wifi routers here where I work. Frequently the status right after connection is 54 mb & then starts dropping down to about 12 mb average. Is that possibly a Surface wifi problem or just traffic on the wifi network that is slowing it down?

ipaq_101

I guess I'm really behind the times. I read a lot of discussions here on this forum about wifi speeds and now a new term thrown out called "limited". I'm not sure where you see whether you are experiencing limited or not. I went to the following website to get some info on connectivity speeds - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2425225,00.asp
It discusses how to measure wireless performance & the difference in bandwidth & throughput. I'm sure this thread is about throughput (connection speed between the Surface and your router).

I assume that you all are looking at a window titled wifi status to see your speed. I see my throughput speed, which is moving up and down on my wifi connection here at work. I never see any term in the status window called "limited" so I wonder if someone could tell me where they see whether there throughput is getting limited. I'm pretty sure we use 54 mb wifi routers here where I work. Frequently the status right after connection is 54 mb & then starts dropping down to about 12 mb average. Is that possibly a Surface wifi problem or just traffic on the wifi network that is slowing it down?

It could be due to wireless signal and traffic, the only time when I see a consistent connection is when the computer is directly plugged in to the router via a Ethernet cable or if you are a few feet from the router.

Otherwise the connection speed will vary based on interference, traffic, and proximity to the router.

For my Nighthawk R7000, in the living room where my router is I get a connection speed of 866.5 mbps, if I go to my bedroom (9 feet away) it drops to 117 mbps. Must be the lead paint in the walls, lol.