What's new

RT Crashing when Typing

ibenzawla

Anyone know of a fix for The RT crashing when using on screen keyboard on internet explorer? It happens randomly and not sure what triggers it. I know it has to do with the on screen keyboard because it never happens with the physical keyboard. When typing it will just freeze and the only thing to do is to long press the power button to shut it down. But then when its off pressing the power button alone won't turn it back on. I will have press both volumes at the same time as the power button. I really enjoy using the on screen keyboard however the constant crashing is seriously hampering my experience. I have a Type Cover which I'm now forced to use instead of undocking it and enjoy using the RT as a full time tablet. I know this has been discussed before I've never seen a solution.

OP
I

ibenzawla

Don't bother refreshing or clean installing. Wont help at all. This problem actually started after upgrade to 8.1 a while back. Its really frustrating when you are busy typing and then first the sound of the keys goes silent and then in a second the entire tablet is unresponsive and nothing would help t that time other than long pressing the power key to force a shut down. I am frustrated because even though I have a Type cover 2 I still enjoy using the on screen keyboard. It appears at this time there is no fix. Wondering if the coming major update to 8.1 might fix it coz I doubt its hardware.

OP
I

ibenzawla

Just to say that this issue appears to have gone after the recent 8.1 Update 1. I have been using the on screen keyboard and I have not experienced a single crash yet no matter how long I type. Huge relief so far. Another reason I really like the Surface. Frequent updates make sure that issues are resolved. Compare that to other tablets that are never updated. Overall my RT runs smoother and faster.