What's new

RT or Pro for requirements

Thanks for that, it looks as the RT is much more useful than the iPad.
I currently own a 64GB iPad4 and just picked up a firesale 32GB Surface RT+touchCase ($199 for the bundle). For working on documents, there is no comparison, the RT hands-down. I'm still sifting my way through the app store to find comparable apps for the things that I do on the iPad. Unfortunately, the selection so far is anemic, but I'm willing to temporarily settle for less function in those apps because of all of the other things that the RT can do that the iPad can't (or can't do as easily or inexpensively).

oion

oion wrote

Thanks, no SFTP is a deal-breaker for me too. I'm not sure that command line would be viable. I have all my web sites bookmarked so it is just a click to load files.

This is important, then. And I doubt the standard FTP.exe built into WinRT/8 has secure encryption capabilities, so I guess we can ignore it.

Nor are there any proper SFTP apps in the app store right now. The one that supposedly supports SFTP as an extension of its code editing function has poor reviews and requires registration and activation. Nor have I heard of any native support in 8.1. The app situation requires that users wait, and this may not be reasonable if you need it for work.

I double-checked XDA... I had used the soft jailbreak before to side-load some ARM-compiled apps such as the PuTTY suite (includes Telnet and SSH client, SFTP and SCP clients, SSH authentication agent). These utilities work, but are command-line. Besides, I wouldn't get attached to any of the side-hacking options since 8.1 is coming out so soon, and Microsoft may or may not patch the sideloading exploit (the jailbreak itself doesn't actually break any warranties because it has to be restarted at every reboot, so there's no evidence--it's also interesting that Microsoft didn't close this particular exploit so far despite all the news about it, so it's not a major security risk). If you're not a power user comfortable with command-line utilities, this certainly isn't an option.

Another possibility is if your web host offers a web-based SSL FTP login. Some do, some don't. And some that do have complex web FTP sites that may not work in Windows RT's IE (e.g. Java is not supported).

There may be a way to install web-SFTP support on the domains themselves, but I have not researched that, and you may not have permissions to do so anyway if you manage client sites. CMS-based websites typically allow full browser-based management and uploading, but you may not have any control over that (or you may not be willing to do an infrastructure overhaul on a website).

If this is really a deal-breaker, that's something to seriously think about and weigh in favor of a full Win8 tablet hybrid. (I still have my desktop so it's not that huge a deal to me, besides which I still have the jailbreak armed and ready and am comfortable with command line; hopefully MS doesn't patch it in 8.1.)

Or maybe someone has another idea.

Johntxk

I haven't had any trouble with my RT handling both large PDF files, I use a 100 page price book daily, or large word documents, often in excess of 200 pages. My RT has completely replaced my large iPad. As a reader of Kindle books I think it is a great replacement in landscape as it compares more to an open book than a single page. I would wait for the RT 2 for no other reason than processing speed.

kristalsoldier

I haven't had any trouble with my RT handling both large PDF files, I use a 100 page price book daily, or large word documents, often in excess of 200 pages. My RT has completely replaced my large iPad. As a reader of Kindle books I think it is a great replacement in landscape as it compares more to an open book than a single page. I would wait for the RT 2 for no other reason than processing speed.

I also have the iPad4. But that is dedicated for my reading. If in anything, it is this where I feel the RT falls short. First because of the aspect ratio and second because of the paucity of apps - particularly of apps that handle PDF documents. For example, I use an app called PDF Expert on the iPad. It is excellent for night reading, the way it handles PDF files, for annotation/ making notes etc. I have not found a similar app for the RT in the Windows store. On my Nexus 10, I (now only infrequently) use Mantano, which is also quite good and which handles the aspect ratio issue innovatively. But it is still not as good as compared to PDF Expert. For reading ePUB files, the scene is a bit better. On the RT I use Freda, which is not bad. I use the same on my desktop. On the Nexus, of course, there are many good options. On the iPad I use iBooks, which has not let me down yet. In fact, it is quite good.

But this - reading tasks - aside, the Surface RT appears to fulfill - indeed exceed - my expectations and needless to say, I am very happy with it.

OP
L

leahtt

Today I visited the store and the nice man let me plug in my pen drive and I was able to open the 30MB A5 booklet file which was saved from Indesign into Word. The formatting was pretty much gone, as expected, but the RT handled the size and all the data including photos, were there.

I also went online and into the control panel and found the file manager there would be usable for ftp though nowhere near as good as having a good ftp program which allows editing and has bookmarks. All my sites except one are hosted at the same server which helps.

The salesman told me that Adobe's PhotoShop Touch is in the pipeline for the Windows App store. That's a great program.
Surely many other developers will be working on Apps.

Roll on September 23!

oion

Nice to hear about PS Touch. I've never used it, but if it has more features than what's currently in the store (I'd like a combination of MS Paint and photo editing like sharpening and color/white balance, really, for basics), that'd be cool. I'm willing to pay for good apps. I'm not sure what you're referring to for the file manager app, because the Windows "control panel" isn't online, but it's true that some of the file manager apps in the store have FTP support. They're most likely not SFTP, however, unless the description says so. The app I found that's both a code editor and FTP/SFTP program is Codeanywhere; I'd read the reviews, though, as it only has a mediocre rating, but it's free, so easy to try.

...OMG, I just found LCARS. I... I might be forced to buy it. Lack of SFTP be damned.

OP
L

leahtt

Nice to hear about PS Touch. I've never used it, but if it has more features than what's currently in the store (I'd like a combination of MS Paint and photo editing like sharpening and color/white balance, really, for basics), that'd be cool. I'm willing to pay for good apps. I'm not sure what you're referring to for the file manager app, because the Windows "control panel" isn't online, but it's true that some of the file manager apps in the store have FTP support. They're most likely not SFTP, however, unless the description says so. The app I found that's both a code editor and FTP/SFTP program is Codeanywhere; I'd read the reviews, though, as it only has a mediocre rating, but it's free, so easy to try.

...OMG, I just found LCARS. I... I might be forced to buy it. Lack of SFTP be damned.

Yes, Adobe PS touch has heaps of useful features not found in the existing Apps.

I used the browser on the RT to go to the control panel address of the server I use. I then typed in my user name and password which gave me access to the server and the various apps contained within such as the file manager. I often go into the server to check stats by this method.

Must check out LCARS?

I see there are new Apps arriving on the Windows Store too.

oion

Yes, Adobe PS touch has heaps of useful features not found in the existing Apps.

I used the browser on the RT to go to the control panel address of the server I use. I then typed in my user name and password which gave me access to the server and the various apps contained within such as the file manager. I often go into the server to check stats by this method.

Must check out LCARS?

I see there are new Apps arriving on the Windows Store too.

Oh, I see. Never mind. :) Hopefully we'll see improvements on the FTP app front whether as an independent app or built into something else...

(Don't mind my raving about LCARS; I was searching for file managers and happened to run across it and made a separate thread about it, Star Trek-themed interface.)

machistmo

I'm an iPad 3 owner who is looking to move to a Windows tablet, but not sure which one yet.

I use Textastic on the iPad for both writing html / css and ftp and know about Code Writer for the RT, but what do you use for ftp? Is Mftp good?

Have a Mac Book Pro supplied for editing booklets, pamphlets etc. and wondering if the RT and Word would handle an A5 sized booklet of 60 pages with lots of photos, with up to eight in colour?
Would I be better with a Pro in case of emergency if the Mac book failed.

My printer tells me they have no trouble printing large Word docs.

In any case I would like to know if the RT and Word could handle a 60 page booklet on an RT?

Donkey & Mule Society of New Zealand (Inc.) - Donkey & Mule Protection Trust

We are about one month away from some seriously refined devices. If you can help it AT ALL, wait for the next round. I am encouraged by what I am reading and will, as always, withhold judgement in full until I have actually tested the devices myself. That being said, some of this stuff looks like pretty good and we have yet to see any of the higher end units in any real detail. Baytrail is SUPPOSED <- big word there from a company like intel , double the performance of the ATOM but again that will not come with any LTE in any form while haswell is supposed to increase performance and extend battery life as much as 50%. I doubt we will see 50% but it looks like they might be pretty close and that could be good enough.

In short, for me, its too early to point you at anything in particular this close to the launch. Wait a little longer and you will undoubtedly be pleased that you did.

oion

We are about one month away from some seriously refined devices. If you can help it AT ALL, wait for the next round. I am encouraged by what I am reading and will, as always, withhold judgement in full until I have actually tested the devices myself. That being said, some of this stuff looks like pretty good and we have yet to see any of the higher end units in any real detail. Baytrail is SUPPOSED <- big word there from a company like intel , double the performance of the ATOM but again that will not come with any LTE in any form while haswell is supposed to increase performance and extend battery life as much as 50%. I doubt we will see 50% but it looks like they might be pretty close and that could be good enough.

In short, for me, its too early to point you at anything in particular this close to the launch. Wait a little longer and you will undoubtedly be pleased that you did.

Actually, there are several things we can assume from the OP's post and subsequent posts such that it's not too early to make a recommendation:

OP went to an actual MS store to try out units. I'm assuming MS store only because the salesperson was knowledgeable enough to know a certain app was coming down the pike for WinRT (assuming he's right), and I don't expect anyone from other brick-n-mortars to know nearly as much. Even if it wasn't an MS store, the store would have other Windows devices available for demo, and the OP still came away with questions specifically about the Surface. Given the hands-on, we know the form factor isn't too small for OP and such and there is enough of an attraction to ask the use case questions.

OP was smart enough to give actual and specific use case examples for performance questions. The specific use case question is easily tested with the proper sample, and OP went to the store to actually demo it again in person using a sample. This is way more testing for a use case than in most circumstances. The test results from other users indicate even the first gen RT is sufficient for OP.

The low-maintenance nature of Windows RT (malware) is a big plus for a transitioning Mac user who doesn't want to deal with that maintenance in full Windows. OP expressed preference for Surface RT over Pro's form factor due to weight.

The primary issues revolve around lack of two specific functions, whether as apps or bundled into something else---SFTP as a separate app or in a file manager or something, and Adobe PS Touch. Supposedly the latter is coming, and I haven't found a good "regular use" app for the former (though I use side-loaded PuTTY myself).

By the above, we can say that Surface RT would be fine, and the OP should wait for the 2nd gens for an even better match to the conclusions we drew from performance-testing RT v1. The only draw for 1st gens is price cutting; there may be a bigger price cut in store, but who knows.

OP
L

leahtt

OP went to an actual MS store to try out units. I'm assuming MS store only because the salesperson was knowledgeable enough to know a certain app was coming down the pike for WinRT (assuming he's ........

The man was a very helpful salesman at Noel Leeming with a particular interest in and liking for MS and whose knowledge came from a MS representative he had asked about Adobe PS Touch (more than once over time) as I have enquired about the App for some months. There is only one MS store in the Country as far as I know and that's a very long way from me. He has allowed me to do tests several times. I played music, in several formats, which I had placed on my pen drive; I made a Word document and placed a photo and played with borders etc. and I opened an approx 30MB pdf and 30MB Word file saved from InDesign. I noticed that the RT was much faster at opening Word than my iPad is at opening its Pages program which is very basic and lacks a great many features I noticed in Word.

The low-maintenance nature of Windows RT (malware) is a big plus for a transitioning Mac user who doesn't want to deal with that maintenance in full Windows. OP expressed preference for Surface RT over Pro's form factor due to weight.

Yes, absolutely correct.

The primary issues revolve around lack of two specific functions, whether as apps or bundled into something else---SFTP as a separate app or in a file manager or something, and Adobe PS Touch. Supposedly the latter is coming, and I haven't found a good "regular use" app for the former (though I use side-loaded PuTTY myself).

I'm not confident enough to use something side-loaded.
By typing the server address (url) into the Window's browser, I was able to access the server's file manager which would suffice to load pages and even edit them, but the editing part was awful as none of the codes were highlighted in colours. The Surface RT handled everything well though.

By the above, we can say that Surface RT would be fine, and the OP should wait for the 2nd gens for an even better match to the conclusions we drew from performance-testing RT v1. The only draw for 1st gens is price cutting; there may be a bigger price cut in store, but who knows.

Yes, absolutely, I'm really looking forward to the announcement of the new version of RT. Just hope they are rolled out without too much delay. If the 2nd generation is about the same price as the RT is now that it is reduced, it will be well worth waiting for.

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely, I'm really looking forward to the announcement of the new version of RT. Just hope they are rolled out without too much delay. If the 2nd generation is about the same price as the RT is now that it is reduced, it will be well worth waiting for.
I thought the same thing... until MS-refurbed units hit ebay for $199 (32GB RT + TouchCase). :) But then again I have more tablets than anyone has a right to own and so it is more difficult justifying a higher price.